Sharpening Scissors

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
Steve Warden

Sharpening Scissors

Post by Steve Warden »

So my wife is ecstatic that she finally has sharp kitchen knives.
I'm not so hot on the stones so I purchased a Lansky Turn Box 2D2C, primarily for my pockets knives, but I'm fairly handy in the kitchen, myself, and I appreciate a sharp knife there, as well.

So she asks me to sharpen her Fiskars fabric scissors. "I'll ask the guys on AAPK," says I.

So here I am. How do you sharpen scissors?
And remember, I'm no good with stones.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Sharpening Scissors

Post by jerryd6818 »

For scissors and kitchen knives, I use the Work Sharp. Works great, just not for pocket knives.
Attachments
Worksharp Knife & Tool Sharpner.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Thanks Jerry.
Anything out there maybe a bit cheaper? I don't mind something manual.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Steve, just a suggestion. If you can take the blades of the scissors apart that's good, if you can't, put scissors in a vice lightly with cutting edge up and determine the edge angle and put a stone to the edge. You have good visuals and control that way.
Lots of light and a visor lens are a big help. Also, in your case a practice pair can be life saving. :mrgreen:
Joe
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

Just remember you only sharpen one side on the scissors, they are a single bevel tool. I've seen folks try to sharpen scissors and hedge clippers like a knife or ax, on both sides, and ruin them, Joe.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

rarefish383 wrote:Just remember you only sharpen one side on the scissors, they are a single bevel tool. I've seen folks try to sharpen scissors and hedge clippers like a knife or ax, on both sides, and ruin them, Joe.
Yup. That's why I knew my Lansky Turn Box wouldn't work.
Great reminder!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

I've heard of people using sandpaper, steel wool and aluminum foil to sharpen scissors by simply using the scissors to cut those materials. Google it and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

bestgear wrote:I've heard of people using sandpaper, steel wool and aluminum foil to sharpen scissors by simply using the scissors to cut those materials. Google it and you'll see what I'm talking about.
I might be missing something here (not unusual), but I think that is how they got dull in the first place; removing metal from the wrong side of the blade, I think.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

bestgear wrote:I've heard of people using sandpaper, steel wool and aluminum foil to sharpen scissors by simply using the scissors to cut those materials. Google it and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Already did.
tongueriver wrote:I might be missing something here (not unusual), but I think that is how they got dull in the first place; removing metal from the wrong side of the blade, I think.
That was the typical response. The verdict is that it may seem sharper at first, but it actually begins to take off too much metal and dull the blades.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Check with your barber to see who does his....maybe you could send yours out with his and have them professionally sharpened for probably not a lot of money.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

FRJ wrote:Steve, just a suggestion. If you can take the blades of the scissors apart that's good, if you can't, put scissors in a vice lightly with cutting edge up and determine the edge angle and put a stone to the edge. You have good visuals and control that way.
Lots of light and a visor lens are a big help. Also, in your case a practice pair can be life saving. :mrgreen:
The above method is more than a suggestion, this is the only way you can do it. My wife has cut hair for more than 40 years, and buys only the finest Japanese or German hair cutting scissors that cost $100-$150 each. They will last a long time and can be sharpened many many times if done correctly. If you ever cut sandpaper or steel wool, then that scissors will not be useful for cutting anything else. I use diamond stones on scissors and then hone with an ultra fine stone. There are lots of sharpening services that cater to hair cutting salons and barber shops, and most will do an excellent job. But if you can sharpen a knife, then you can sharpen a scissors.
IMG_2137.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:There are lots of sharpening services that cater to hair cutting salons and barber shops, and most will do an excellent job.
OC - What does your wife pay to have her finest scissors sharpened?
Tom
AAPK Administrator

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

bestgear wrote:
OLDE CUTLER wrote:There are lots of sharpening services that cater to hair cutting salons and barber shops, and most will do an excellent job.
When you cut many heads of hair every day for a living, you have more than one pair to allow for one being out to be sharpened. She said that a fellow comes in to their shop and picks up scissors and sharpens them for $20. I have seen them freshly sharpened and they are like razors.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

bestgear wrote:
I also should have added that the ones that she uses that I have sharpened in the past are all straight blade scissors. Now days she tends to use serrated blade scissors, which require special sharpening equipment that she has professionally done, which is the $20 I quoted.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I may have tried sand paper. but for the life of me if steel is harder than aluminum foil how does that work? ::hmm:: over the years I have used my one inch belt sander, needle files and now diamond files.
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:
FRJ wrote:Steve, just a suggestion. If you can take the blades of the scissors apart that's good, if you can't, put scissors in a vice lightly with cutting edge up and determine the edge angle and put a stone to the edge. You have good visuals and control that way.
The above method is more than a suggestion, this is the only way you can do it. My wife has cut hair for more than 40 years, and buys only the finest Japanese or German hair cutting scissors that cost $100-$150 each. They will last a long time and can be sharpened many many times if done correctly. If you ever cut sandpaper or steel wool, then that scissors will not be useful for cutting anything else. I use diamond stones on scissors and then hone with an ultra fine stone. There are lots of sharpening services that cater to hair cutting salons and barber shops, and most will do an excellent job. But if you can sharpen a knife, then you can sharpen a scissors.
IMG_2137.JPG
A picture is worth a thousand words. I don't know how many pair of good hedge shears I've seen ruined because someone sharpened both sides. I try to explain that's why they call them shears, they are single bevel. If you cut a double bevel on them the blades will spread apart as they close. Sorry for preaching to the choir, Joe.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

EDIT: Post erased; I thought I was posting to another thread.
Joe

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”