A sows ear?

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
mrwatch

A sows ear?

Post by mrwatch »

I found a condo wide garage sales Saturday. Picked up this slicer and fork for $1.00, knowing it had a problem. Looked like they scrapped asphalt off a truck. Turned out that the knife had three cracks from the middle to tip. on marked Stainless Japan. one tip was damaged but I pretty much took care of it. Decided to turn it into a wood carving knife for hogging off bass wood, like the ones shown. was it defective steel causing the cracks? Bob
Attachments
P1000201.jpg
P1000202.jpg
P1000203.jpg
DSCN4242.jpg
DSCN4245.jpg
mrwatch

Re: A sows ear?

Post by mrwatch »

meant to say that one fork tip had the same type of chemical damage.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

mrwatch, when I saw your post, it rang a bell!
We have a set of 6 steak knives that have the identical handle. There is still a "JAPAN" etch on them. The knives were a wedding gift almost 52 years ago. In fact, it's the only wedding gift I can remember. :wink: They came from a Marine buddy and his wife. I just mentioned this to Miss Joy and she said she still has the wooden box they came in. The box has the name Griffon in script as you can see. We've used them since 1966 and have no cracks in the blades. I did notice a few minutes ago the swedges are all different lengths, indicating at least that part was probably done by hand.
Here's a few pictures of the knives that match the handles of your garage sale find:
DSCN4630.JPG
DSCN4634.JPG
DSCN4633.JPG
Turn that broken blade into a Warncliff while you're at it. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

We have the technology. How is this? found a holder for it. The kitchen tool is to peel Lemons. Paid $1.00 and thinking about turning it into a knife pick.
Attachments
P1000204.jpg
P1000205.jpg
P1000206.jpg

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”