A Lawn Razor???????????

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
knife7knut

A Lawn Razor???????????

Post by knife7knut »

Dug this from one of my many storage boxes that I don't visit too often.Picked it up many years ago because it was so unusual.A folding sickle using old double edged razor blades for a cutting edge. The guard(the red piece in the picture)folds over the blades while closed and when opened locks into the notch in the handle to prevent accidental closing. Another one of those,"not-so-better" ideas that never really took off.
If you have a pic of something cutlery related that is in a similar vein(i.e.:using a product for something other than originally intended after it's primary life has been exhausted)please feel free to post them. I will post a couple more later on.
Attachments
SingleEdgeRazorBladeSickle 2018 001.jpg
SingleEdgeRazorBladeSickle 2018 002.jpg
SingleEdgeRazorBladeSickle 2018 003.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A Lawn Razor???????????

Post by Miller Bro's »

Leave it up to the Mainiacs to think of something like that! :lol:
AAPK Janitor
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I'd rather sharpen a brush hook than have to change the blades in that thing--I am sure it's close to dangerous.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I have never seen one of the those, fortunately! I agree with Cody that it looks dangerous. I wonder how easy it is to change out the blades and if you need to count your fingers after you get done. Very cool - thanks for posting that K7K.
Mel
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

cody6268 wrote:I'd rather sharpen a brush hook than have to change the blades in that thing--I am sure it's close to dangerous.
Actually it is rather easy to change them.You just unscrew the three wing nuts(which also come up through the center of the blades)and lift off the cover.Each double edged blade has a small projection that locates it and the top corner of the blade acts as a stop.Re-install the cover and you're good to go. When they get dull,take off the cover and flip them over;or re-sharpen them if you have a tool to do that(I have several). I would post a pic with the cover off but my camera batteries are re-charging.Will do so later.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Found a few more weirdos in my accumulation.Some may have been posted before:
#1:A Parker 18 wheeler. Not sure what the hook on the point is for;some suggested for removing stones from tire treads.
#2:A Penny knife by A.B.Newman of Austria.So called because they once sold for a penny.Some have very fancy handles(will post one of those later).A basic friction folder.
#3:An Oriental(Chinese or Japanese;not sure)knife with a hook similar to the 18 wheeler.Blade is forged in two pieces;a hard cutting edge and a softer spine and fuse welded together.
#4:A Colonial cleaver/folding hunter.Useless for both tasks.The cleaver could not stand any serious abuse and if you try to use the knife blade you can't grip the handle with the cleaver blade closed. A "not-so-better" idea.
#5:Two Franklin Mint knives.Similar but one has a 57 Chevrolet etch on the blade and the other a 53 Corvette etch.Talked to the owner of the FM about it and they checked all their stock and that was the only one it happened to. Sent me a corrected knife for my trouble.
#6:An Imperial novelty knife in the shape of a filter cigarette.
#7:A small herd of ink erasers.
#8:A set of four knives made out of two different types of jade. Possibly high end steak knives(they ARE sharp).
#9:A fancy penny knife in the shape of a carved head. The eyes are tiny pieces of bone or ivory.
Attachments
18Wheeler.JPG
A.B.NewmanAustriaPennyKnife 001.jpg
ChineseKnife099.jpg
ColonialKnifeCleaver1.jpg
FranklinMintError 001.jpg
ImpCigarette1.jpg
ImpCigarette2.jpg
InkErasers 001.jpg
JadeKnife1.JPG
Penny1.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

#1:Four Russian knives of varying quality.The second from the bottom has ivory handles and pre-dates the 1917 Russian revolution.
#2 & 3:A Sports Skinner with a folding guard to avoid puncturing the skin.
#4 & 5: A Taylor folding tanto/push dagger and a United Cutlery dagger/push dagger.
#6:& 7: An unusually shaped knife with curved horn handle and a sheath with a flat end you can actually stand upright.
#8 & 9:An advertising knife for GE dated 1941 that is similar to a Barry Wood folder.
10:Another weirdly shaped GE ad knife.
Attachments
Russian10.jpg
SportSkinner1.jpg
SportSkinner2.jpg
Taylor2 1.jpg
Taylor2 2.jpg
Unmarked098.jpg
Unmarked099.jpg
GE1941FoldingKnife1.JPG
GE1941FoldingKnife2.JPG
StarGEKnife07.JPG
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Miller Bro's wrote:Leave it up to the Mainiacs to think of something like that! :lol:
They don't throw nuthin' away up there and you get both sides of the blade! :lol:
Joe
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Last ones for now:
#1:A baseball bat knife made of aluminum;supposedly for bopping fish.
#2:A Wyoming skinning knife
#3:A couple of my knife designs executed in Lexan.
#4 & 5:Not really a knife but I lobe the logo on it:Taylor & Son Morticians & Furniture. Kind of weird until you think about it.Judging from the phone numbers it was probably made in the late 1930's or early 40's. If it was a rural town the furniture store likely made a lot of furniture and it wouldn't be a stretch to make wooden caskets. Just like the old West!
Attachments
BaseballBatKnife2018 001.jpg
BaseballBatKnife2018 002.jpg
WyomingKnife 001.jpg
WyomingKnife 002.jpg
HandmadeLexanKnives1.JPG
UnusualSpatula 001.jpg
UnusualSpatula 002.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

FRJ wrote:
Miller Bro's wrote:Leave it up to the Mainiacs to think of something like that! :lol:
They don't throw nuthin' away up there and you get both sides of the blade! :lol:
Ayuh! That's for sure! :mrgreen: Here is an inside shot of the blade showing how the blades are arranged.
EDIT: I did some research on the company and found they were first started in 1891 and went out of business in 1967. Apparently Oakland had quite a few companies making edged tools such as scythes and sickles.The North Wayne Co. was one of the biggest. I have several friends who live in that area;I'll see if they can find out any info at the local library.
Attachments
LawnRazorOpenToShowPlacementOfBlades 003.jpg

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”