vintage ice picks

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
mrwatch

vintage ice picks

Post by mrwatch »

Here is a antique Wagner ice chopper, patented 1904. let's see yours.
Attachments
wagner
wagner
Pat. 1904
Pat. 1904
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: vintage ice picks

Post by doglegg »

You did it again MRW, something else I have never seen before. ::tu::
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Our first time at that antique show looking for a place to park to visit a antique mall we seen it. Out doors on the bluff looking at Lake Michigan in the 92 degree hot sun. Man had a $5.00 price so I figured why not. ::shrug:: I also stopped back and bought the ADZE when he came down a few $$$ , probably to my wife's chagrins. Good thing she went and found a park bench to sit.
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

During the 40's, 50's & 60's, grandpa worked part-time for the local ice dock, also as a fill-in driver for "Foremost Dairy Products". In those days the dairy trucks were still being cooled with huge blocks of ice. Along with his ice tongs, here are some of the ice picks he used. The round handled one is the oldest, the square handled ones used to have the logos from Taylor's Ice Dock, but are nearly worn off now. I still remember during the summer, the milk truck drivers would chip off a chunk of ice for each of the kids gathered around the truck. Kids were so much easier to impress back in those days. As hot as it's been 'round here, I kinda wish one of those ol' trucks would come by. :D
SANY0002.JPG

WB
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

WB I see the ice tongs in auctions as well as metal milk carry trays and metal coolers for your porch. As a kid in St. Louis County mom got milk home delivered and we would ask the driver for ice. She would put out the empty glass bottles to be returned. Paid 2 cents deposit on pop bottles too. We had a open air root beer stand around the corner. Take a nickle or dime and could get a baby beer in a real glass mug and a Twinky. Real memories and old time recycling.
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Yah, I use the ice tongs as a paper towel holder out in the clubhouse, works pretty good and fits right in with the rest of the kinda stuff I tend to keep around.

By the time I was old enough to remember, milk was being delivered in those 1/2 gallon wax board cartons. Mom used to help us make birdhouses out of them, and she also used them to freeze ice blocks for the cooler if we were going camping.

Ohhhh... and those memories of the A&W just up the road. ::drool:: Only for us, it was an ice cold 'Zero' candy bar to go along with our frosty mug. ::tu::

Boy am I feeling nostalgic, think I'll call and talk to my mom for awhile. ::tear::

WB
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

milk was being delivered in those 1/2 gallon wax board cartons. I remember mom said to save them for starting the fire place. Also great for camp fires. Zero candy bars sound familiar? The theater concession stands had many strange things like jubgells? and milk duds. And butter cup popcorn. mix it up=wrap it up and butter cup is born.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I carry several ice picks in my carpentry work truck. They work better than anything I've tried to clear ice dams off roofs in the winter. You can remove large chunks of ice, frozen to shingles with out doing any damage to the roof. Other pointed tools like awls don't have the right grind to chip ice quickly. Home owners sometimes try to remove ice with hatchets which creates a lot of job security work for me come spring.____Dave
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

djknife13 wrote: Home owners sometimes try to remove ice with hatchets which creates a lot of job security work for me come spring.____Dave
:lol:

Here's a couple with cap lifters.
Attachments
DSCN0645.JPG
Joe

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”