needed a sword display....

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
wizrd

needed a sword display....

Post by wizrd »

I'm not really a knife 'collector' -- the term 'collection' denotes some kind of theme, - I consider myself a 'racoon accumulator' - I like all things shiny, sharp & pointy, -- so I recently acquired a repro Viking sword that needed a display. I wanted to be able to dispaly it with the scabbard, which is very nicely done, and also without the scabbard. The sword is a Suontaka Viking sword, from Kult of Athena, made by Windlass, I believe they are imported by Museum Replicas Ltd. - It needed some 'pimping' -- so I picked up a few Viking themed amulets from Ragweed Forge to dress up the display. This is a useable sword, 1065 carbon steel, tempered and sharpened, full tang and peened at the pommel, -- sharpened to a 'scary sharp', I might add. ( I wouldn't leave this blade 'naked' where there is a chance of people or kids touching it, -- it will cut you, it IS that sharp.) Wood placque came from an antler mounting kit, hooks from a sword supplier on the net. Fashioned a little wood scabbard end piece to support the tip of the blade, or scabbard while hanging. For the price point, I am very happy with this sword. It could be in a museum!
DSC02400.JPG
DSC02395.JPG
DSC02399.JPG
DSC02407.JPG
Attachments
DSC02414.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: needed a sword display....

Post by doglegg »

Wow Wizrd, you indeed are. That looks super knice! Great job. Maybe a picture of he blade. ::tu:: ::tu::
wizrd

Post by wizrd »

I'll try to get a nice picture of the blade, photography isn't my strong point, and knives are one of the most difficult things to get really good pictures of, I'll see what I can do -- blade finish is excellent though - overall quality is far beyond my expectations at this price...just saying.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

wizrd, I have a few swords and I am jealous of your display. Very fine. Congrats! ::tu::
wizrd

Post by wizrd »

Some pics of the blade. Blade length is 30 3/4", width is 1 3/4" , thickness 3/16", overall weight 3 lbs. 1 oz. Picture are outdoors, in open shade, the colors you see & darkness are just reflections. (Damn, these are hard to take pics of). The blade is finished to probably 220 grit, maybe a little finer. There are no machining marks, or stray polishing marks to be seen. Being imported, it is stamped with country of origin, you may make out the two lines on the close up of the hilt. Very straight blade, no waviness or variance to be seen. The etchings near the hilt are only 1/32" , small enough that they are hard to see. The original sword was unearthed from a viking noblewoman's grave in Suontaka Tyrvanto, Finland, this is an early Viking sword, with a straight blade, later swords began using a more tapered blade, that set the balance point back closer to the hilt, making the blade quicker in the hand, both on the attack and return. If you have a thing for swords, - get Hank Reinhardts - "Book of Swords".
DSC02428.JPG
DSC02430.JPG
DSC02431.JPG
DSC02432.JPG
Thanks you for the kind remarks about the display.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

wizrd wrote:Some pics of the blade. Blade length is 30 3/4", width is 1 3/4" , thickness 3/16", overall weight 3 lbs. 1 oz. Picture are outdoors, in open shade, the colors you see & darkness are just reflections. (Damn, these are hard to take pics of). The blade is finished to probably 220 grit, maybe a little finer. There are no machining marks, or stray polishing marks to be seen. Being imported, it is stamped with country of origin, you may make out the two lines on the close up of the hilt. Very straight blade, no waviness or variance to be seen. The etchings near the hilt are only 1/32" , small enough that they are hard to see. The original sword was unearthed from a viking noblewoman's grave in Suontaka Tyrvanto, Finland, this is an early Viking sword, with a straight blade, later swords began using a more tapered blade, that set the balance point back closer to the hilt, making the blade quicker in the hand, both on the attack and return. If you have a thing for swords, - get Hank Reinhardts - "Book of Swords".DSC02428.JPGDSC02430.JPGDSC02431.JPGDSC02432.JPG Thanks you for the kind remarks about the display.
Thanks for the blade pictures W, a fine looking sword in a fine looking display. ::tu::

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”