Estate Sale Sword, Malaysia? Philippines?

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Estate Sale Sword, Malaysia? Philippines?

Post by orvet »

I bought this sword, for lack of a better word, at an estate sale. It was in a bucket was some yard and garden type tools and covered with mud and rust. I bought it and brought it home and cleaned it up and was pleasantly surprised that the intricate carving on the handle and the design on the blade. The ferrule appears to be steel in the handle appears to be some type of rosewood, likely Cocobolo. Along the spine of the knife on either side are some circular marks that almost look like scales of the snake or perhaps a Dragon. And while the carving of the handle is somewhat crude, there is an amazing amount of detail with checkering and designs curved allover the handle.

The sheath is a wooden sheath carved from two halves and held together with some sort of woven plant fiber, I'm not sure, is this rattan?

To give you a better idea of what you're looking at, it is 17 inches OAL, with a 10.25 inch blade.

Any information about this knife would be appreciated. I thought at first it was a cheap piece made for the tourist trade but now I am not so sure it appears to be well made with the materials they had available, for example the guard is very soft and I believe is either made from aluminum or perhaps lead.

if you have similar knives I would love to see them, I expect Ray probably has several, and I would appreciate your evaluation of my sword.

Thanks in advance,
Dale
Attachments
Estate Knife a.jpg
Estate Knife b.jpg
Estate Knife c.jpg
Estate Knife d.jpg
Estate Knife e.jpg
Estate Knife f.jpg
Estate Knife g.jpg
Estate Knife h.jpg
Estate Knife i.jpg
Estate Knife j.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
BWT

Re: Estate Sale Sword, Malaysia? Philippines?

Post by BWT »

Dale I know absolutely nothing about it, really interesting looking, I think you did good.
Bill
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Vietnam is another possibility. Does the style look familiar to any AAPK Vietnam vets?

Dennis
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Dale, most of the time something is posted someone shows a picture of the 5 they have. You may have found the one and only of that one. Very interesting. And complete with the sheath. ::tu::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

A strange one indeed Dale! I checked my listings on Phillipines knives and the closest one I could come up with is a Janap in blade shape. The sheath looks to be more like an African knife but the knife is not as crude as most African knives I've seen. Some barongs I have use the wrapped metal ferrule behind the guard but their blade shape is more like a leaf.
If I had to guess I would say either the Phillipines or maybe Borneo.
Attachments
WeaponsOfThePhillipines 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I was really suprised Ray, I thought you would have at least one like it. :mrgreen: You were my best hope of identifying it. Maybe I can make the next OKCA club meeting in September and let Bernard have a look at it. Maybe he has seen something similar to it.

Thanks for posting the Weapons of Moroland, they is really cool!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”