Assistance with a Dunlap hatchet please

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Assistance with a Dunlap hatchet please

Post by orvet »

Does anyone have any information on this hatchet? It says DUNLAP/REG. T.M. I suppose it is probably a Sears product.
It was probably quite attractive when it was no ahead would be read the lettering inside of DUNLAPis gold. There is a gouge out of the bottom of the handle, which doesn't affect the functionality, and some mushrooming on the head.
I want to put in my store but I'm not sure what I should charge for. Most of the ones I've seen on eBay, even in far worse condition or $30 and $50.
Anybody could help me out with an approximate price, I'd appreciate it.
Thank you
Attachments
Dunlap Hatchet a.jpg
Dunlap Hatchet b.jpg
Dunlap Hatchet c.jpg
Dunlap Hatchet d.jpg
Dunlap Hatchet e.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Gunsil

Re: Assistance with a Dunlap hatchet please

Post by Gunsil »

A quick ebay search of SOLD ITEMS turns up only one just like yours, sold for $9.99 which is about what I'd expect. Most Dunlap common wood handle hatchets with common heads seem to have sold for under $15 each. Wider head hatchets seem to have done a little better. "Sold listings" on the left toolbar on ebay pages is your friend. There are plenty of dreamers asking 60 bucks for a Dunlap hatchet, they will likely never sell them, the only price that matters is the "sold" price which is much lower than many sellers' asking prices.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks, that is helpful.
I will put it in the RV for camping! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Just did same research.....found one sold for $9.99.
I was gonna say to toss them as they don't sell at estate sales, not that I see many, but I saw one last week for $3.00
and put it back down.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks Scott, ::tu::
I recognize the name as being from Sears, actually the Dunlap pocket knives were pretty quite good, and they were named after Tom Dunlap who created craftsman tools in 1926. They start showing up around 1930, and IIRC some were made by Napanoch and some by New York Knife.
For a $5 gamble I didn't get rolled up, it's worth that for a spare hatchet in the RV! ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

I was at an auction last fall and there were three axes in a pile of shovels and stuff. One was a nice Dunlap, so I asked the auctioneer if he would put the 3 axes together as one item. When you ask them to separate an item they automatically start the bid at $5. No one else bid so I got all 3 for $5. I also got the deal of the year at that sale. It was cold and they had 3 auctioneers selling , so you had to keep moving around to keep from missing something. I walked by one tent and the helper was pointing at a Dewalt 12" chop saw. I thought the auctioneer was at$70 calling for $75, so I threw my hand up, and got it. When I went to pay the clerk said "NO, it was only $25". Sometimes it pays to leave your hearing aids at home, Joe.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great story Joe. ::tu::

There was a couple who did estate auctions in our area but they lost their lease and had to close their store. My wife and I went to one of their auctions and had fun. Bought a lot of junk too, but got some good stuff too. I think they retired as I haven't seen an auction of theirs in a couple years.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”