W.Marples chisel

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
zoogirl

W.Marples chisel

Post by zoogirl »

I picked up this W.Marples and Sons chisel out at the Red Barn/Vancouver Flea Market.
From what I can find, the company started in the 1830’s. It became a Ltd company in about 1898. As my chisel doesn’t say ‘Ltd’ I’m hoping it’s pre-‘98.
Here it is
C3ABA13B-5520-4613-8B22-C8995CF9F144.jpeg
54F4DA34-6663-4029-A830-01AED36AEC60.jpeg
2F418ADA-E6E8-49B5-BB98-E9521B35D2CF.jpeg
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
FRJ

Re: W.Marples chisel

Post by FRJ »

Sorry, I can't help you with the date, Ann.

Your previously nice socket/bevel chisel, was sorely abused by some one who beat a mushroom into the socket and ground that off and beat some more mushroom into the socket again while apparently using it as a cold chisel.
It can be saved and still continue to be used if a proper edge is ground in and the flat bottom and the edge are stoned.
A very easy fix actually. The socket is probably hopeless in terms of getting a wood handle in there.
They were and are great chisels.
Joe
tongueriver

Re: W.Marples chisel

Post by tongueriver »

What fun! Old tools are as fascinating as knives. Don't get started on planes; that could get expensive! This reminds me that I need to restore a really nice old meat saw with a 27 inch blade. I saw a two-part video on youtube wherein two brothers crafted a damascus screwdriver with burl wood slab handles, gold wire inlays and a Yogo sapphire.

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”