Pa’s old meat saw.....

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Pa’s old meat saw.....

Post by Colonel26 »

Momma brought this to me today. I didn’t even know she had it or I’d have already laid claim to it. This is the saw that my grandfather (momma’s dad) used to break down hogs at hog killing time. I hadn’t seen it in years.

I’ll clean it up and it’ll get a special place of honor on the shop wall.

I also have some of the split hickory (for smoking hams) that was left in the smokehouse when he died. I sent one piece of it to Dale and he used it to make some scales for this old CASE 10 dot loomfixer.
D05C12D1-340A-4320-88B6-97800A98519F.jpeg
369E71D5-6CE0-4F83-8E2D-CE8281B43EAF.jpeg
1852AD6D-5C3B-4AD8-8A20-68F03B88C9AF.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Pa’s old meat saw.....

Post by doglegg »

Really cool Wade. I love things that belonged to my Grandparents. Great work by Dale on the loomfixer. ::nod:: ::tu::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Wade, what a sound, sturdy, quality tool that is. It's obvious. ::tu::
Joe
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Some fine heirlooms there Wade.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Thanks guys. I’m proud to have it.

FRJ wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:33 am Wade, what a sound, sturdy, quality tool that is. It's obvious. ::tu::
Joe, you’re right, it’s a sturdy thing. It’s stamped True Value, and the frame is solid steel. I haven’t seen anything like that in a hardware store in a long time, maybe ever. Lol
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Catching up on my forum reading. Wade that is a great tribute! Love the idea of using his smoke house wood for a knife handle. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That is a sweet memento of your grandparents, Wade; it is also a fine tool. I have one with a 14 inch blade that I have used many times over the years. A couple years ago I was prowling around an old abandoned homestead and I found one with a 28 inch blade that I mean to restore.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

treefarmer wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:10 pm Catching up on my forum reading. Wade that is a great tribute! Love the idea of using his smoke house wood for a knife handle. ::tu::
Treefarmer
Thanks TF!
tongueriver wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:33 pm That is a sweet memento of your grandparents, Wade; it is also a fine tool. I have one with a 14 inch blade that I have used many times over the years. A couple years ago I was prowling around an old abandoned homestead and I found one with a 28 inch blade that I mean to restore.
28” blade! Wow that’s a hoss!

I appreciate all the kind words guys.
Robert E. Lee
wlf

Post by wlf »

Nice heirloom Wade.
Biggest usage was to split the backbones and ribs around here. Something you don’t see anymore, now they’re pork chops.

You hardly ever heard of anyone butchering a beef.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That's a really cool old saw and a very nice pocket knife. ::tu:: ::tu::

Who doesn't butcher beef, Lyle? :lol: My great-grandfather, the dairyman, always butchered pigs and chickens. The only cows he had were Holsteins for milking, no beef cattle. These guys will be headed to the block soon.
Attachments
IMG_20191102_175916352.jpg
IMG_20191102_175231690.jpg
IMG_20191102_175318481.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

My Mother's Father's people were stockman and butchers from Montana back to Minnesota back to Ohio back to Connecticut in the 1640s. My Grandfather had butcher shops in Baker Montana and before that in Minnesota until the depression forced a move. My uncle and then my cousin owned the packing plant in Miles City, Montana from the 1940s on until the 1990s. I was present at many 'events' from the 1950s until the 1990s regarding the change from living animals of several sorts to food for our sustenance. I presently process game meat for our family and friends and have done so for many years. Here is a partial scan of a calendar from Grandfather's butcher shop for the year 1927. I had it laminated so the actual little calendar is encapsulated and can't be shown, but I thought the old-timey print and provenance was interesting, at least to me.
Dawson Mn meat market001 (Large).jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

[quote The only cows he had were Holsteins for milking, no beef cattle.[/quote]
The Holstein cattle at dairy farms in the U.S. go immediately to hamburger at fast-food joints (not naming) once their computer chips show a loss in milk production. I was shown this process at a dairy farm in Minnesota by a shirt-tail relative who owned the farm. It is a brutal and competitive business.Those people work like slaves. Not kidding.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Great stuff here! Nice, Wade, really nice, what a great way to honor your grandfather. Any plans for the remaining chunks of Hickory?
Good pics, John.
That is some great family history, Cal, 1640s, wow! My ancestors didn't arrive until the mid 1800s in the flood of German immigrants, a couple hundred years later.
Ike
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

1967redrider wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:29 am That's a really cool old saw and a very nice pocket knife. ::tu:: ::tu::

Who doesn't butcher beef, Lyle? :lol: My great-grandfather, the dairyman, always butchered pigs and chickens. The only cows he had were Holsteins for milking, no beef cattle. These guys will be headed to the block soon.
Those are some fine looking beef critters!
tongueriver wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:50 am My Mother's Father's people were stockman and butchers from Montana back to Minnesota back to Ohio back to Connecticut in the 1640s. My Grandfather had butcher shops in Baker Montana and before that in Minnesota until the depression forced a move. My uncle and then my cousin owned the packing plant in Miles City, Montana from the 1940s on until the 1990s. I was present at many 'events' from the 1950s until the 1990s regarding the change from living animals of several sorts to food for our sustenance. I presently process game meat for our family and friends and have done so for many years. Here is a partial scan of a calendar from Grandfather's butcher shop for the year 1927. I had it laminated so the actual little calendar is encapsulated and can't be shown, but I thought the old-timey print and provenance was interesting, at least to me.
Dawson Mn meat market001 (Large).jpg
Love the calendar AND the history. Very cool. Oh, and I know exactly which Fast food chain you’re talking about. They used to buy all the Holstein steers here.
Waukonda wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:42 am Great stuff here! Nice, Wade, really nice, what a great way to honor your grandfather. Any plans for the remaining chunks of Hickory?
Good pics, John.
That is some great family history, Cal, 1640s, wow! My ancestors didn't arrive until the mid 1800s in the flood of German immigrants, a couple hundred years later.
No more plans right now. Just keeping it dry and holding on to it.
Robert E. Lee
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Colonel26 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:25 pm
1967redrider wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:29 am That's a really cool old saw and a very nice pocket knife. ::tu:: ::tu::

Those are some fine looking beef critters!
And tasty, especially at Summer BBQs.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”