Another What Is It?

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Another What Is It?

Post by Colonel26 »

Wonderful videos. Cotton seed meal is one of my favorite livestock feeds, and I use it in my garden fertilizer mix too. Wonderful stuff.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....I've got a Camillus Cotton Sampler, but it sure doesn't look like that one??????........ ::shrug::........
Jerlin

Post by Jerlin »

Ken, my thanks for all the information goes along with the others. It has been over 30 years since my involvement with cotton warehouses/compresses. I remember seeing modules along the edge of the cotton fields awaiting transport to the gin, but I don't remember the round bales.

Jerry
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

carrmillus wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:26 pm ....I've got a Camillus Cotton Sampler, but it sure doesn't look like that one??????........ ::shrug::........
...mine is 4 line stamped and it looks identical to pattern # s-702, but mine has just the single blade, no can opener!!!.............. ::tu:: ................
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

FYI, As we were talking about Cotton Samplers ,just got my knife Magazine and wouldn’t You know it they got a nice article about Cotton Sampler knifes, check it out .Thanks again all for the tour. Be safe
JP
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Thanks for posting your knowledge of the cotton business;I learned a lot tonight. As for the OP's knife the blade looks as if it has experienced considerable wear.Here is a pic of my Russell cotton sampler that in all likelihood has never been used.
Attachments
RussellCottonSampler 003.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Glad y’all enjoyed the info. Most of it is what I’ve picked up from living around cotton farming. Personally I’ve never been involved in it - I’ve never grown it on our place. There is still a little grown in thIs area but thanks to government subsidized ethanol most around here have switched to growing corn. (Don’t get me started on that mess!). And I try to stay away from the old family farm in south Texas when they’re planting or harvesting - they might put me to work! ::woot:: :lol:

One thing I would clarify in regards to a previous post mentioning “industrial farming”. Most cotton is still grown on family owned farms, by family farmers. It’s just on a bigger scale than the “40 acres and a mule” of olden days.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”