Older Case Scissors

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
kootenay joe

Older Case Scissors

Post by kootenay joe »

These scissors are marked: "Case/XX/Bradford PA." on the front side and: "8 Inch/Made in U.S.A./Chrome"
The "CASE" looks similar to the marking used 1920-40 but with "XX" under the tail of the "C".
The paper in the box says" Used for snipping vegetables, meats, fruits for salads, etc. -- scaling fish with serrated blade -- cutting off fins, cleaning and cutting up fish -- 1000 uses"
and for "CLEANLINESS - The blades can be taken apart easily for removal of grease and sterilization".
Does anyone know for sure the era these are from ?
If this was a vintage Case folding knife in this unused condition with original box it would be valuable.
What about vintage Case scissors ? Are they valued by Case collectors ?
kj
Attachments
IMGP0564.JPG
IMGP0565.JPG
IMGP0566.JPG
XX Case XX

Re: Older Case Scissors

Post by XX Case XX »

I can't speak for other Case collectors but yes, I have always liked older Case scissors. Maybe one day I will start a collection. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

I use a pair almost everyday ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Some do collect them but they don’t usually have much value. I have at least one pair around here somewhere. They are available occasionally on eBay, usually sell for around $20. Check eBay for sold listings. Scissors rarely see hard use so usually they are in excellent condition. Yours having the box would probably bring a premium.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Hey Roland;
I do not have any Case scissors within my cutlery collection, however, I have observed over the years that Case Scissors & Shears, Kitchen Cutlery, Carving Sets, and many other open Case Stock, other than Case Fixed and Folders is marked with the famous "Case curly tail with XX underscored." (Just like my first picture below on the cover page of the Cutlery Catalog.)
It appears that your scissors are "Kitchen Shears" of which the top blade is usually "Serrated."
Case unfortunately seldom included the date of manufacturer on many of these items. Having the original "vintage" box in your possession is of course a help in dating.

Perhaps a dedicated Case scissor collector will tune in? Better yet; perhaps Steve Pfeiffer "knifeaholic" will post and set the record straight and correct any written mistakes that I have made.

I received the below 11" by 8 1/2" soft 54 page catalog in 1986 from a now closed cutlery business in Glendale Ca. It contains 6 pages of "Scissors and Shears." As I stated above, "The Case curly tail with XX underscored" is marked on most items and continued for many years, perhaps even today?

Dan

img308.jpg
img309.jpg
img312.jpg
img313.jpg
img314.jpg
img315.jpg
img316.jpg
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for these replies and thank you Dan for posting the Case catalog pages. Mine appears to be #773 in the 3rd picture down showing scissors. The Case XX stamping on the front side is oriented 90 degrees to how it is on mine but otherwise looks the same.
From the looks of box and paper insert i think mine are older than 1986, maybe more like 1960's.
kj
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Roland, I believe this pair is from the 70's. 9 3/4" long. I would think yours are earlier. Not sure what marks they used when but comparing to knife stamps is apples and oranges.
Attachments
IMG_2374.JPG
IMG_2375.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Check out this scissors thread-

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=61957&p=754087&hil ... rs#p754087

Other manufacturers from around the globe posted too.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

btrwtr wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:49 pm Roland, I believe this pair is from the 70's. 9 3/4" long. I would think yours are earlier. Not sure what marks they used when but comparing to knife stamps is apples and oranges.
Wayne, #773 is listed as 8 1/2" with 2 3/4" cut. These measurements match my scissors.
kj
Edit to say: oops i think i miss read your post. The scissors you posted are 9 3/4" and your point is that knife markings do not match scissor markings for dates used.
kj

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”