Space Age Technology.......Schrade Style!

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
9ball

Space Age Technology.......Schrade Style!

Post by 9ball »

Hello Folks :) ,

Here is a Schrade All Purpose Honesteel which I believe they either applied for or got a patent in 1973, this one is stamped 76.
I brought it to use, but never did for some reason.

According to the paperwork it is also designed as a wedge to split firewood, a chisel, pry bar, cracking deer pelvis's, and a fish "billy".
As safety goes, It has the two hole system; one which fits a stud behind the snap of the sheath to be used as a handle when honing your edge. Not sure if the single ho's work this way or not.

It is about seven inches long.

Gerber also made a similar one, but I do not know the story on thoses.

9ball :)
Attachments
Schrade Honesteel & Box 1.jpg
Schrade Honesteel & Box 1.jpg (24.02 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Good one Rick. ::tu::

That does seem to appear in the 1974 Catalog for the first time. $11.00!

I gleaned the information from LRV's great site, but could've missed another listing.

Bill
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
9ball

Post by 9ball »

Thanks Bill.

I need to look at the info he has, so I can get the complete skinny. I got this one at J.C. Penny's back when they still sold sporting goods, I believe I paid around 15 dollars total.
I saw another on foundingrandpasatticbay and it had "SCHRADE-WALDEN" on the sheath and "Pat. Pend." stamped on the steel itself. Mine has the patent number and just SCHRADE, but paperwork has the patent pending.
Later steels just have the single round ho or a triangle shaped ho. :shock:

In the paperwork it basically sezs that it was made from and alloy of spring steel and an abrasive, that is where the Space Age stuff came in. It feels like you could get steel splinters holding bare handed.

Looking back; I was doing alot of backpacking back then and I did not think it justified the weight and space, plus it is kind of bulky/in the way.......so it just got stuck in the gear box.
When I seen the one for sale, I dug it back out.
It has reached "Collectible Status"

Rick :lol:
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Here you go pardner...

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/ ... /index.htm

In the 1974 Catalog, under Old Timer, is the first I noticed it. You might find some more info by snooping around the site. It is a great site, IMO.

Bill
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

space age

Post by Mossdancer »

Hi Rick; This is a really neat thread, hope you don't mind if I expand it a bit. I never knew until I started picking these up how many there are. I am sure I have only scratched the surface. If you or anyone has any info I would like to hear it. The 5" Gerber was made from early 60's til 93 and the 8" from 71 til 89 per LG4. The others I have no idea. The old carborundum is really neat. I reckon I have another collection going. Had no idea I had this many until I saw your post and started digging.
wb
Attachments
img105.jpg
img104.jpg

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”