Need Axe Recommendations

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
cody6268

Need Axe Recommendations

Post by cody6268 »

I am pretty well served in hatchet territory, with an Estwing Camper and a German-made Stihl as well. However. I need a good full-sized one.

The pre-1960s axes I have, both True Temper need a large amount of work. Both are blunt. My single bit 3.5 pound Jersey has a rough original handle, and the double bit has a poorly hung replacement I did as a teenager. I also have a Council 3.5 lb. as head only.

I have a budget of under $100 and would prefer American made. I have checked all but our Ace Hardware affiliate and a new True Value. All full size axes are poorly crafted imports. I think Lowe's may have the long-handle Estwing Camper, but that's it.

Council makes some decent offerings here in the US in the $50 range, but I see a lot of mixed reviews.

However, despite being Finnish and not US; as a pack axe, how are the full-size Fiskars? I've tried the hatchet and liked it.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Need Axe Recommendations

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

This is a problem as it is with knives and other items. You look at newly made items and they are all imports of varying quality. I go to fleamarkets and antique malls a lot and see old American made stuff ocassionally that would probably be of much better quality. They usually would need a new handle, but the steel us bound to be better. If you have such an option in your area, it might be worth a try.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

If you go to Ebay and search for 3.5 lb axe you will find over a hundred axe heads and some axes. Mostly $40-$80. That would be my first thought. Flea market is a good idea too. Our local flea market has a couple of folks with a large number of old tools.
Mel
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

I had a beautiful Plumb Cruiser that I used to throw in competition. When I quit doing that, I let it sit in my shed leaning against a wall. Fast forward 20+ years. I got back into axes and got my old Plumb out, the handle had bowed from leaning against the wall. A friend made me a beautiful Octagonal handle for it. The first time I threw it it hit right on the wedge. Fear of hurting it, I ran up to ace and got a double. The handle on the new one was so fat I couldn't grip it right. Part of the handle on axes back when they really used them was a fairly thin handle that flexed in the swing, having a "whip" when it struck home. I said something to my friend at Ace. He's been there close to 30 years and he said they actually started making the handles fatter quite a while back. People that never used one couldn't hit the same spot twice splitting wood, and would chew them up and bring them back as defective. What ever you get try your hands on the handles, I'll bet they are fatter than you would think they are. Here's my Plumb, Joe.
Attachments
20180214_165724.jpg
20180215_150912.jpg
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

During the years I heated exclusively with wood I accumulated so many hatchets and axes that I could be accused of collecting them. It's pretty simple. The thin blades required for best cutting heads have to be forged. I was given a new Ace Hardware double bit with thin cast blades. It keeps warping and bending near its edges. I have to beat them back to flat. However, since most of us use chain saws for cutting thick cast blades work great for our splitting.

The last full size single bit I bought was a forged Craftsman that was $15 at a swap meet. It still had most of its original grayish green slightly metallic paint and its original handle was in good shape. I don't see anything as good in stores at any price.

I'm guessing that your Estwing "Camper" is a #44, their version of a house or hearth axe. Craftsman, Plumb,Vaughn and others used to install a 2 1/4 pound forged boy's axe head on a 17" curved handle and market them as one or the other of those names. I found them very useful for feeding small wood stoves. Compared to them the Estwing #44 is poorly balanced and unlike axes and mauls wood hatchet handles only break after they've been allowed to dry rot. However, when I was young and dumb I thought an Estwing #44 was the coolest looking hatchet in the hardware stores and I still do so these days my #44 is my most used hatchet. I guess that makes me still dumb.

The long 26 or 27 inch extended handle version is Estwing's version of a boys axe. I always took mine on hunting trips because my partners liked making kindling with it around the campfire. It was another case of the tool looking cool. I seldom used it at home. My aim is better if I always use the same length handle for two handed swings. In contrast it's easy to hit where I want with various length handles swinging one handed.

What I remember of ebay is the rust pitted old heads sell for more than complete axes in better shape sell for at rummage sales, garage sales and swap meets. If you're patient and have the time you'll probably find one locally over the summer.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Buy the Estwing I love mine. (At least you know you won’t break the handle) When you get time work on the ones you have make handles for them and enjoy them.

I should follow my own advice I have a pile of old heads that need handles. I never seem to get around to that project. Meanwhile the Estwing does everything I need.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I would recommend Estwing for a new ax, but I would also need to know what you're using it for?
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Modern Slip Joints

I thought Cody wanted help finding a "full size" axe. For a long time the standard has been a 3 1/2 pound head on a 36" wood handle. I've never seen an Estwing that would substitute for a standard axe. Their biggest approximates a boy's axe but with a steel handle and too light a head it's poor balance makes you work harder than you would with a standard 2 1/4 pound head 27" wood handle boy's axe.

Fiskars and competing brands are just the opposite. Their main virtue is concentrating the weight in the head. My only sample is an inexpensive off brand house axe size hatchet. Its head heavy balance is very noticable, especially when used along side my Estwing #44 Camp house axe. Fiskars typically have non-standard shorter length handles. I already wrote that for better aim I stick with a single length of handle for two handed axes. Fiskar's 36" version is sold as a maul or heavy splitting axe. If I ever see them on sale I'll try one.
catspa

Post by catspa »

I like the TTS with eye ridges, so I’d rework the old ones if I were you. I like Vaughan for framing hammers and rigging hatchets, but their full size line is made in India. No experience with those.

Parker
Modern Slip Joints

Rehandling is not a bad job as long as you've goat a solid vise and wood rasp but a good 3 foot handle and metal wedges runs $15 to $20.

Roughly 20 years ago the heads on Vaughn Rig Builders changed from forged to cast. The forged heads were close to their advertised 28 ounces. Their cast heads vary and can be up to 1/2 pound over their advertised weight. Their heaviest at 2 1/4 pounds make a great back yard odd job and firewood tool but are nearly worthless as framing hammers. Rigging hatchets are a variation of framing hammer. Their full size axe heads probably changed to castings about the same time.
catspa

Post by catspa »

All my Vaughan riggers are from before blue paint, some are twice that or more. Good old American company, didn’t know they went to cast, thought they were drop forged.

Parker
catspa

Post by catspa »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:39 pm
Roughly 20 years ago the heads on Vaughn Rig Builders changed from forged to cast. The forged heads were close to their advertised 28 ounces. Their cast heads vary and can be up to 1/2 pound over their advertised weight. Their heaviest at 2 1/4 pounds make a great back yard odd job and firewood tool but are nearly worthless as framing hammers. Rigging hatchets are a variation of framing hammer. Their full size axe heads probably changed to castings about the same time.
MSJ, I’ve been looking into this for a couple days, and I’m interested in where this information came from. Every source I can find indicates that Vaughan still drop forges their domestic products. I’ve been told that with modern metallurgy, casting steel parts is significantly more expensive than drop forging, and everybody I’ve asked to weigh their rigging hatchets has reported them at spec or slightly under, if they’ve been sharpened back some (as most of mine have). Nobody (out of a dozen and a half samples) seems to have an obese one like you describe.

You sure you’re talking about Vaughan and Bushnell here?

Parker
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I hate it when a good axe handle ends up taking a bend. ::disgust:: I guess there is nothing to do but replace it... ::shrug::
Attachments
DSCF5248.JPG
DSCF5249.JPG
DSCF5251.JPG
DSCF5252.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
catspa

Post by catspa »

All ya gotta do is flatten that left cheek and call it a hewing axe!

Parker
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Check Craigslist in addition to estate/garage/yard sales. I find them all the time.
Too bad you don't live closer.....I have a number of them I'd like to sell.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”