A very unique head. What was it used for?

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
BKWhite

A very unique head. What was it used for?

Post by BKWhite »

Here is a unique piece that my son found in an area where we find a lot of arrow heads. Not sure what this one could have been used for. 7" long 4" wide at the widest point and 1/2" thick at the base. Notice the double lacing notches. any one know what it might have been used for? Have a great day
Attachments
009 (700x364).jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A very unique head. What was it used for?

Post by orvet »

It's difficult for me to assess that because in Oregon most of the spear points, arrowheads, and even needles are made from obsidian, which is a volcanic glass. It is my observation that obsidian tends to flake off more evenly and consistently than flint or other stones used in the eastern part of the US.

From the size of that piece I would say it's probably a spearhead or lance head.
However, I'm no expert on Indian artifacts, though my grandfather was. He had an extensive collection of artifacts, mainly from the Pacific Northwest. He did have a few flint pieces in his collection and they always looked much more primitive to me than the obsidian pieces.

If you are serious about identifying the piece, I would search out a local college in your area that has an archaeology department and see if they don't have someone expert in Native American artifacts.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Hesmikeb

Post by Hesmikeb »

Maybe a scraper?
marinaio61

Post by marinaio61 »

The knapping is very crude for a genuine artifact, my first attempts in college were better. The size would make even a lance unwieldy, the edges are too jagged to be a hand ax but a very large/heavy hafted knife is a possibility. It's impossible to be sure but my guess is some wannabe's try at flint knapping.
marinaio61

Post by marinaio61 »

In what part of the country was it found? Was it buried or laying on the surface, is the rock native to that area and close by to where it was found?
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Nearly six-year old thread, guys.
And the OP hasn't been around since February . . . .

Been a rash of dead threads resurrected by newish 'members' lately
:roll:
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”