OSS Stiletto - Lucky Find

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
BryanJ

OSS Stiletto - Lucky Find

Post by BryanJ »

I was recently in a shop that calls itself an “antique” shop, but in reality, it’s one of those places that rents booths for yard sale type items. While my wife was checking out, I was waiting by the front door, when I happened to glance inside this display case. The case top was covered in magazines, and other small items. The interior of the case was cluttered with a bunch of junk, but in the very back corner, barely visible, was this knife. The owner was standing near by and I asked, “what is that”? He came over, pulled the knife out, and explained that it was among some stuff he purchased in a local estate sale. He said he thought it was a British military knife. I was traveling at the time, I did not have my reference books available, but I thought it was a second pattern Fairbairn Sykes, or a replica, but I was not sure. I made an offer, and to my surprise, he took it. Turns out, it’s an LF&C, OSS stiletto, in a British Chindit sheath. You never know what you can find, and where.
image.jpg
7DD78EFD-4FC4-4EF9-B54C-77F127776D64.jpeg
48C8154E-BEC0-4C0A-AE40-215D09C10DBB.jpeg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: OSS Stiletto - Lucky Find

Post by btrwtr »

Awesome find! It's finds like this that keep us searching.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

From your pictures, I too would have said Fairbairn Sykes. Congrats. My bead & ring was estimated at the Antiques Road Show, several years ago, at $500. I bought it in 1966 for about $5.
Attachments
fs01.jpg
fs04.jpg
fs03.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Awesome find!

My great-great uncle was in intelligence during WWII and was said to be a founding member of the CIA. He often carried a similar knife, but being as there weren't any pictures, I was unsure of whether or not it was a V-42 or Fairbairn Sykes or OSS Stiletto. As of late, I've been leaning toward the latter. Back in the '70s, shortly after his death, his footlocker was stolen.

I would call all the local antique malls I've been in over the years closer to indoor flea markets than actual antique stores. In fact, one started as an indoor flea market in a former department store, and after it was sold, the new owner rebranded it as an "antique mall and emporium".
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

That is indeed a nice find! ::tu::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”