Cattaraugus Q Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
CampbellAr2

Cattaraugus Q Knife

Post by CampbellAr2 »

Just got this sweet 225Q at an auction this weekend. While many prefer them with patina, Previous owner did a good restoration on this one
Attachments
IMG_5901.jpeg
IMG_5898.jpeg
IMG_5899.jpeg
Gunsil

Re: Cattaraugus Q Knife

Post by Gunsil »

Nice looking example!! What makes you think restoration was done? Still some of them around with mostly original finish. They are certainly stout knives! Cattaraugus had thousands of these left after the war and many were sold after the war as hunting/camping knives which they excelled at. Good score, especially if the finish is original.
CampbellAr2

Post by CampbellAr2 »

Thanks!

Restoration might be the wrong word….Definitely the prev owner put some work in getting the mirror finish on the carbon steel blade and the rest of the knife
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I have one with a mirror finish and think that's how they were originally. ::tu:: My sheath looks the same too.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

They definitely all came with mirror polished blades.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Gunsil wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:00 am Nice looking example!! What makes you think restoration was done? Still some of them around with mostly original finish. They are certainly stout knives! Cattaraugus had thousands of these left after the war and many were sold after the war as hunting/camping knives which they excelled at. Good score, especially if the finish is original.
Exactly Gene, looks all original especially given the condition of the accompanying original sheath. The Catt 225Q's have been going up in price over the years and finding one in this condition for a reasonable price is a hard find these days. No restoration involved. I've used one of these as a camp knife for years now and they are hard to beat for this purpose.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

I've heard them nick-named the "pry bar" for their stout blades. That's a really nice one. ::tu:: J.O'.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

That is great example ::tu:: ::tu:: I have a couple of them and I love them! ::nod:: 😍🥰😘The are so stout, strong and sturdy (Sx3). A great camp knife. ::nod::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Arisaka99

Post by Arisaka99 »

Nice original 225Q! Here is one of my favorites… the guy I bought it from has been trying to get it back for over a decade. Korean War vet by research.
IMG_2324.jpeg
IMG_2325.jpeg
IMG_2326.jpeg
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Arisaka99 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:12 pm Nice original 225Q! Here is one of my favorites… the guy I bought it from has been trying to get it back for over a decade. Korean War vet by research.

IMG_2324.jpegIMG_2325.jpegIMG_2326.jpeg
Not sure which I like more... the knife... ::shrug:: ... ::paranoid:: or the sheath ::oh_my:: ::oh_my:: :wink:
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”