Knives of the Bundeswehr

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Eustace

Knives of the Bundeswehr

Post by Eustace »

1. Bundeswehr Taschenmesser 5110-12-162-8215 a.k.a. German Army Knife (GAK) 108 mm. The next model is 111mm, one hand opening, from 2003. Produced for the army by at least 10 companies.
2. Kabelklappmesser 5110-12-120-0816. The first samples for the Bundeswehr were delivered in 1959, produced by the following companies: JOWIKA / Carl Wittgens / IROKA, Jurgen Stamm, Otto Forster-Witzhelden, Donges GmbH & Co. KG.
3. Takelmesser Bundesmarine 5110-12-120-3974, a.k.a. Bordmesser mit Marlspieker. The first samples of the Bordmesser mit Marlspieker (sailors knife with marlin spike) 5110-12-120-3974, namely so it is called in official documents, were produced and delivered to the Navy from 1958 to 1992 where they are still used today. Produced by several subcontractors (Hugo Koller, Dr. Feicke GmbH, Jurgen Stamm, Otto Forste
4. Fallmesser-Kappmesser 1095-12-120-1119 / 7340-12-120-1119, or a paratrooper gravity knife. On armament from 59 to 63. Produced by Weyersberg, Kirschbaum & Co (WKC), Carl Eickhorn, Othello and Anton Wingen Jr. After that there is another model BW Kappmesser fur LL-Truppe 7340-12-140-1031, which I hope one day to own.
Attachments
BW.JPG
BW2.jpg
BW3.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Knives of the Bundeswehr

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nice collection of military knives. Thank you for showing them and explaining their histories. ::tu:: Are these difficult to find?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

The first two are easy and are not expensive. Manufactured by many companies and in large quantities. There are also many civilian copies.
The third - Marlin spike - is difficult to find from the production intended for the German Navy. At the moment I can find on sale only in Russia, but the order is little risky from there. There are a lot of civilian copies of various Chinese companies. Only the Italian Fox Company had an order for this knife from the Bundesmarine and sells the same model freely.
The most difficult to find is the gravity knife, especially in good condition. It was only 3 years of armament, and small quantities were produced exclusively for the army. Currently, according to Germany's laws, it is illegal to own.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thank you for the information. In my experience it is very rare to see Bundeswehr knives in USA. Since mid-1980s until 2013 I have spent a good deal of time off and on in Western Europe (as far east as Budapest) and do not recall seeing any Bundeswehr knives there either. Which is what led me to ask the question. Perhaps I wasn't looking in the right places, or they have been made illegal so they are not sold. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

The Germans have found a way to bypass the legal requirements - selling handles and blades separately.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Bundeswehr-nur- ... Sw8A1aav8c

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Bundeswehrmesse ... 0005.m1851
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Very informative thread, thank you ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
richard bissell

Post by richard bissell »

The W.W.II (earlier) version of their "gravity" knife has wood grips on it. //Look carefully at the springy blade retention device if you find one of these!!! The metal is almost always cracked right near where one of the pins goes thru it; the blade will still work(come out of the handle in spite of this defect).thank you...
dark350z

Post by dark350z »

Good information thank you very much
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

New addition Bundeswehr kampfmesser
Attachments
20240118_123641.jpg
20240118_124226.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

6 years to the day! Awesome group, Georgi, I love that gravity knife. ::nod::👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”