Ultimate "bad boy" (a real Smatchet).

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Captain O

Ultimate "bad boy" (a real Smatchet).

Post by Captain O »

https://traditionalarcherybows.com/hand ... d_p70.html

The original "tough guy" killing machine.
Gunsil

Re: Ultimate "bad boy" (a real Smatchet).

Post by Gunsil »

The knife shown is not an original smatchet, it is a modern interpretation of the original design.
cottage hill bill

Post by cottage hill bill »

Having a real one in the collection I'd have to say the Smatchet wouldn't be my first choice in that class of weapon. The grip is a bit too square to be comfortable and the size and weight are somewhat awkward. I'm not big (5'11", 180lbs) but not tiny. It would be a slow weapon for me. A US 1910 or 1917 bolo would be a much better fit if I was looking for something between a knife and an axe.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Cottage, there were several models of the original smatchet made by Case during WW2. I agree that the wood handle on the first model is not so comfortable, but the molded plastic handles on the later ones are actually pretty user friendly. Sadly there are many fakes out there of the first model wood handled one, gotta be careful with those.
cottage hill bill

Post by cottage hill bill »

Yes there are fakes, though this one has been in my care for 50ish years now and vetted by some pretty knowledgeable members of the military sharp things community.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”