Sykes-Fairbairn

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Sykes-Fairbairn

Post by jerryd6818 »

Can anyone tell me if this is a genuine Sykes-Fairbairn or just some knock-off? I seem to remember buying it in San Francisco on my way to Viet Nam in 1965 but maybe not. The only marks are England stamped on the sheath and the 9 with an arrow on the lower handle. If it is genuine, do they have any value in less than pristine condition? (other than sentimental)

Thanks for the help.
Attachments
FS01.jpg
FS01.jpg (90.39 KiB) Viewed 5268 times
FS02.jpg
FS02.jpg (78.94 KiB) Viewed 5269 times
FS03.jpg
FS03.jpg (85.6 KiB) Viewed 5268 times
FS04.jpg
FS04.jpg (84.52 KiB) Viewed 5269 times
FS05.jpg
FS05.jpg (78.68 KiB) Viewed 5268 times
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
smiling-knife

Re: Sykes-Fairbairn

Post by smiling-knife »

Hi and welcome. This is not my area of expertise, but I did some research for you. It looks to me to be a genuine variation of the FS knife. They are known as 'Beaded and Ribbed' variants. According to Flooks British Military Knives book, these were private purchase and officially issued. Your has the GI Broad Arrow stamp and number acceptance marks. Your knife appears to be the more common variation of this type with 9 beaded rings. It looks just like the one in the book to me. I have no idea of value but your knife looks to be in pretty good condition IMO. Some people that really know about these knives frequent British Blades forum. You could post it there or I could do it for you if you prefer. Best wishes, :D s-k
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/sho ... hp?t=50349
Rust Never Sleeps
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks for the suggestion. I posted my question on their forum, in the thread you provided.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Hi Jerry:
When you get a chance how about some high resolution photos or scan at 250% at 96dpi.
Some closeups of sections of the handle also. Unless you are in bright sun please use tripod. It is hard to do but closeups of bottom and top of handle would be good. Photo both sides of blade from where it enters handle to the tip. What is the handle material. A close up of both views of skull crusher too. Thanks
moss
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mossdancer wrote:Hi Jerry:
When you get a chance how about some high resolution photos or scan at 250% at 96dpi.
Some closeups of sections of the handle also. Unless you are in bright sun please use tripod. It is hard to do but closeups of bottom and top of handle would be good. Photo both sides of blade from where it enters handle to the tip. What is the handle material. A close up of both views of skull crusher too. Thanks
moss
This is probably not what you're talking about but they're as good as I can get. By the "skull crusher" I assume you're talking about the "nut"? The handle appears to be cast brass.
Attachments
fs01.jpg
fs01.jpg (92 KiB) Viewed 5148 times
fs04.jpg
fs04.jpg (59.96 KiB) Viewed 5147 times
fs05.jpg
fs06.jpg
fs07.jpg
fs08.jpg
fs09.jpg
fs10.jpg
fs11.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Hi Jerry:
It appears to be as the book says to be a ribbed and roped 9 rope variant. My books do not show the ovate nut holding the pommel on. That does not mean it is not real. I would suggest getting a book by Silvey called "Knives of the United States Military WWII". Try your library first cause it is expensive as it has full color plates in it. With proper authentication your knife could be worth quite a bit if real. As you know though condition governs price. Sorry I can't help more.
Here is a black and white photo of what I think it is.
moss
Attachments
img913.jpg
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mossdancer wrote:Hi Jerry:
It appears to be as the book says to be a ribbed and roped 9 rope variant. My books do not show the ovate nut holding the pommel on. That does not mean it is not real. I would suggest getting a book by Silvey called "Knives of the United States Military WWII". Try your library first cause it is expensive as it has full color plates in it. With proper authentication your knife could be worth quite a bit if real. As you know though condition governs price. Sorry I can't help more.
Here is a black and white photo of what I think it is.
moss
Thanks for your input. I appreciate your time.

The gents over at British Blades tell me it's the real deal and a very rare variation on the Fairbairn-Sykes British Commando Knife. I was told it's value is somewhere between $350 - $500 but to paraphrase what you said, "Condition is everything". What's left out of that is the fact that there also needs to be an individual with a case of the wants and willing to pay the price.

The "England" stamped on the guard indicates the knife was WWII surplus, shipped to the states as part of war debt repayment. If that were not stamped on the guard, it would mean it had been issued and the value would be more in the $800 range.

Sigh. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Well, I found Orvet's thread "Useful Links for Military Related Knives" and clicked on Jerryd's link to Fairbairn Sykes.
All very interesting and educational.

I was hoping to find a thread with some history to post my knife in.
This will do just fine.

I have always thought this knife was the most beautiful knife of all in it's design and place of duty. Mine is the 3rd pattern.
Jerrys beautiful knife is explained in the thread.

A AAPK member had it on E-bay and I chased it. I couldn't believe I won it. What a knife!
Attachments
DSCN2792.JPG
DSCN2787.JPG
DSCN2785.JPG
DSCN2783.JPG
DSCN2776.JPG
Joe
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

What a great knife Jerry, did you carry it in Viet Nam? And it's history. What a classic knife and verified. That is a treasure. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
And FRJ, yours doesn't quiet have the story but your story of winning off ebay is pretty super. There is a romance around those knives like with a Bowie. Great knives the both of you. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks, doglegg. ::tu::
Joe
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

doglegg wrote:What a great knife Jerry, did you carry it in Viet Nam? ::tu::
I did not. The more I think about it, I probably bought it downtown Rockford after I got back. Hell, I don't know. That was 52 years ago.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
alex1959

Post by alex1959 »

and one more example
Attachments
20210824_090505.jpg
20210824_090515.jpg
20210824_090453.jpg
20210824_090458.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK Alex. Like Joe's, yours is a 3rd pattern and appears to be in excellent condition. Thanks for posting it.

I went to the Antiques Roadshow several years ago when it was in Madison, WI and had my F/S appraised at $500. I don't remember the details but I'm pretty sure I bought it in 1966 or maybe 1967 and I know I got it for less than $10.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
alex1959

Post by alex1959 »

Hi Jerry! Thanks.I like it also.got it couple weeks ago on estate sale.It is some kind of Klondake.like commando Ka-Bar I got for $8.or Boker Solingen folding for $ 1(!!) :D
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Those are some mighty fine F/S knives y’all are showing. ::tu::
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:13 pm Welcome to AAPK Alex. Like Joe's, yours is a 3rd pattern and appears to be in excellent condition. Thanks for posting it.

I went to the Antiques Roadshow several years ago when it was in Madison, WI and had my F/S appraised at $500. I don't remember the details but I'm pretty sure I bought it in 1966 or maybe 1967 and I know I got it for less than $10.
I picked up a while back a F/S :D a newer one, marked "England" I may dig it out and post some pictures and maybe get some information from ya'll ::paranoid::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

HERE IT is, ::hmm::
Attachments
DSCF7941.JPG
DSCF7944.JPG
DSCF7945.JPG
DSCF7946.JPG
DSCF7947.JPG
DSCF7949.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Wow!!!
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

doglegg wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:15 amWow!!!
It has a very solid feel to it. I also have an "el Cheapo" one from Pakistan and you can feel the difference.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Very nice 3rd Pattern. Do you have the sheath/scabbard?

Read all about it here: http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/f ... ife_p3.htm
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:36 am Very nice 3rd Pattern. Do you have the sheath/scabbard?

Read all about it here: http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/f ... ife_p3.htm
I don't have an original sheath for it, just the one in the photo. It fits perfect in that sheath, but definitely NOT an original. ::facepalm::
Attachments
DSCF7940.JPG

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Thanks Jerry ::handshake:: that is a great site! I had no idea that by 1942 more than 100 different companies made and/or sold the Commando knives. That must make it interesting for collectors ::suspense::

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”