New 3 Blade Army Air Corps Knife?

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
jlholdings

Re: New 3 Blade Army Air Corps Knife?

Post by jlholdings »

TJ, it is an awesome book and I think that 2002 is the latest edition, but don't hold me to it. It is full of color photos and descriptions and deals only with military pocket knives. I think it is an invaluable resource to military pocket knife collectors.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

jlholdings wrote:TJ, I just checked the Camillus tang stamps out on the net to which you refer. Those tang stamps were "Made in USA" and were for Sears & Roebuck. There is no question about that. I agree. But the knife I am referring to is marked "MADE IN U.S.A.". They are different stamps. I am referring to the knives manufactured for the military only. There were only two variations in the scripting of the tang stamp for the military that I am aware of; MADE IN U.S.A. or MADE IN USA, all in caps. I mistyped the tang stamp earlier, which may have misled, and for that I apologize. The pics at the top of the thread shows the stamp to which I refer though.
That opens a whole 'nother can of worms J.L.. Peek out this tang stamp and then take a look at the knife it's on. No pattern stamp on the back of the main blade and the shield is different than any other 72 or clone I've seen.

I realize the topic is not 72s but the tang stamp on this knife fits right in with the discussion.

Edit: Not only does this knife have 1st Gen blade assortment but the secondary blades have half-stops. Main does not but then the tang is so worn it also does not have any snap. Note the Camillus tab handle attachments. It also has saber grind on the main (both sides) with swedge on the mark side and pile side of the blade. The liners, rocker pin and bolsters are nickel silver.

So what do y'all think the pedigree is on this puppy?
Attachments
Made in USA (Camillus Maybe) - Tang Stamp.JPG
Made in USA (Camillus Maybe) - Open.JPG
Tab Handle Attachment.JPG
Mark Side Saber Ground with Swedge.JPG
Pile Side Blade - Saber ground with Swedge.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Jerry I have two, four line Camillus knives with the same shield .That could make that knife made from 1941 to 1946.
Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
jlholdings

Post by jlholdings »

Jerry, very interesting knife you have. I never claimed that "only" military knives were stamped that way though. Search Google and you will find info on engineer knives tang stamped MADE IN U.S.A.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I did not mean to imply that you did say "only" military knives were stamped that way. I'm on an information hunt and in my world speculation is a welcome part of discussion.

I added to the post after you had posted Grant. The thing that makes me think it's not that era is the nickel silver liners, rocker pin and bolsters. As J.L. mentioned earlier, brass was dedicated to the war effort during those years and nickel silver is a form of brass, sometimes called white brass. My guess is immediately after the war which ended in the summer of 1945. I think this may be one of the very first Camillus 72s. It's the MADE IN U.S.A. stamp that I'm curious about. Were the design people working on this pattern before the war ended and they jumped into production of this knife with what they had at hand, tang stamps and all? ::shrug::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jlholdings

Post by jlholdings »

Brass and nickel silver could be seen on some military knives until around 1942. Then later in the war in 1945, brass liners were again seen in the stainless steel Kingston demo knives and other manufacturers knives. This is a generality, of course, as you can find examples of brass being utilized for the military if it was deemed necessary during mid-war. An example would be the 10th Mountain Division knives made by Ulster. The question about the tang stamp on other knives does make me curious though.
Frank Trzaska

Post by Frank Trzaska »

JL,
That is one beauty of a USAAC knife.
The MADE IN USA is a very well used marking on WW II era knives. Used by Camillus, Ulster and Imperial and the joint billing name Kingston. A common issue as they all worked together during the war and were all owned by Albert Baer at some point. In any case it is what it is and it is a beauty. Nilo's collection was pieced out over the years and it is no surprise that he owned many examples of other factory items, the competed and studied as well as worked with each other, it is a small world.

This style knife was made in this configuration by Camillus, Utica, Pal, Ulster and Imperial. I have seen Camillus knives in this pattern with jigged rosewood when the bone was hard to come by in the war years. A presently under valued military knife and certainly under appreciated by most collectors in favor of the bigger and better known models.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

As for the MADE IN USA tang stamping, the factories were a frugal bunch, never seemed to throw anything away. Using these blades in later years on contract made items was standard fare. Again, Sears had a connection to the same fellow who put the factories together, Albert Baer.

All the best
Frank Trzaska
All the best
Frank Trzaska
jlholdings

Post by jlholdings »

Thanks a lot Frank. It is always appreciated when one of the experts lends his knowledge to the topic. Do you have any idea as to how many were produced with this stamp?
Frank Trzaska

Post by Frank Trzaska »

No sorry to say I have not seen anything that puts a number on knives by tang stamping. Total of all manufacturers is 1,400,217 purchased by the government during WW II era.
All the best
Frank Trzaska

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”