Veterans Day Tribute

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
tac803

Veterans Day Tribute

Post by tac803 »

I wanted to post this as a tribute to all of those Vets who served in order to help keep us free. The unmarked Solingen was my Dad's. He was a Naval aerial gunnery instructor in WWII, although I don't believe he had it during his service. These tools stood ready to serve, as did thousands of proud Americans, Canadians, British, and others from all nations that cherished freedom. For those who valued Country more than self, a sincere Thank You!
Attachments
PAL 36
PAL 36
Catt "Q"
Catt "Q"
Ontario 10-76
Ontario 10-76
Unknown Maker, metal handle, blade marked "Solingen, Germany"
Unknown Maker, metal handle, blade marked "Solingen, Germany"
A CRKT, gift from my buddy who went over to train Iraqi Police
A CRKT, gift from my buddy who went over to train Iraqi Police
Mark 2 with "History of the War" published in 1944, along with NAG wings
Mark 2 with "History of the War" published in 1944, along with NAG wings
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Veterans Day Tribute

Post by jerryd6818 »

The knife you have labeled as "Unknown Maker, metal handle, blade marked "Solingen, Germany" is a clone of a WWII Fairbairn–Sykes, 3rd pattern, British Commando knife.

Very nice collection.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
tac803

Post by tac803 »

jerryd6818 wrote:The knife you have labeled as "Unknown Maker, metal handle, blade marked "Solingen, Germany" is a clone of a WWII Fairbairn–Sykes, 3rd pattern, British Commando knife.

Very nice collection.
Thanks Jerry. Any idea as to what the date of manufacture might have been? I'm thinking before the cold war, since it's marked "Germany", as opposed to "East" or "West Germany", although I could be wrong. I don't know if he had it during the war, although I do recall him having it in his box of memorabilia that I first saw in the 60's.
John
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

John, It's post WWII. The Fairbairn–Sykes British Commando fighting knife didn't exist before 1941. Of course, Germany would have not made any during WWII. The German "economic miracle" didn't take place until 1955, after which West Germany became the most prosperous economy of Europe. I feel comfortable saying 1960s or later. I don't think you'll ever be able to pin it down and chip a date in a rock.

Here's a rare varient of the F-S called a bead and ring. Most of these were private purchase so this one with the MoD broad arrow stamp and the inspectors number stamp is even more rare. I bought this in the late '60s and up until about ten years ago, thought it was just some junk made for the Mall Ninja crowd.
Attachments
FS--03.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
tac803

Post by tac803 »

jerryd6818 wrote:John, It's post WWII. The Fairbairn–Sykes British Commando fighting knife didn't exist before 1941. Of course, Germany would have not made any during WWII. The German "economic miracle" didn't take place until 1955, after which West Germany became the most prosperous economy of Europe. I feel comfortable saying 1960s or later. I don't think you'll ever be able to pin it down and chip a date in a rock.

Here's a rare varient of the F-S called a bead and ring. Most of these were private purchase so this one with the MoD broad arrow stamp and the inspectors number stamp is even more rare. I bought this in the late '60s and up until about ten years ago, thought it was just some junk made for the Mall Ninja crowd.

Thanks Jerry, and that's a fine specimen.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”