Swiss 2008 Soldier knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
gew8805

Swiss 2008 Soldier knife

Post by gew8805 »

I recently acquired a 2008 dated '08 Swiss Soldier Knife to go with my '10 and '11 marked versions. I had been looking for a first year production knife for quite a while and finally found one. How many of these first year dated knives were released on the civilian market? As I understand it, the Swiss Army purchased 75,000 for their use. TIA.
junebug

Re: Swiss 2008 Soldier knife

Post by junebug »

im kinda outta the SAK loop...so ta say......especially on the NEWER ones.....but!

if the knife has a DATE stamped on the tang........it should be one of the 75,000 you say were made!
the military knives have a date stamped ....civilian knives SHOULD be the EXACT same knife LESS DATE STAMP ::tu::

AGAIN, been a while since i was really into victorinox knives and never was really into NEW STUFF....

TEX or TANK should know...maybe they will POP IN ::tu:: ::tu::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
gew8805

Re: Swiss 2008 Soldier knife

Post by gew8805 »

junebug wrote:im kinda outta the SAK loop...so ta say......especially on the NEWER ones.....but!

if the knife has a DATE stamped on the tang........it should be one of the 75,000 you say were made!
the military knives have a date stamped ....civilian knives SHOULD be the EXACT same knife LESS DATE STAMP ::tu::

AGAIN, been a while since i was really into victorinox knives and never was really into NEW STUFF....

TEX or TANK should know...maybe they will POP IN ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks junebug. While I would like to think that this is one of the knives purchased by/issued to the Swiss Army, we have to remember that the Soldier Knives sold on the civilian market also had the dates stamped on the main blade, at least as far back as the M1961 with Alox scales so I do doubt that it is one of the 75,000 knives purchased for issue but who can really say, you may be right. We would know more if the Swiss military still marked the knives accepted into service with the "WK" (Waffen Kontrol) acceptance mark but they decided to stop that back in, I believe, the late '80s since both Victorinox and Wenger had had 75 or 80 years with very few knives not passing their rigorous inspection. All of that being said, there must have been some released by Victorinox for sale to civilian markets but I have no idea how many.

The '08 pattern Swiss Army (Soldier) Knives are great, very robust and easy to use but..... too large to carry very long in the pocket I'm afraid. They will quickly ware a hole in your jeans - don't ask me how I know. ::dang::

I have ordered an original equipment Mole sheath to belt carry carry one of my latter dated knives - either the '10 or '11 dated example - as this knife comes in very handy at my work sight, I especially like the Philips head screw driver. As a theatrical electrician that feature comes in very handy when focusing lighting instruments.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”