Theile y Quack Elberfeld...............

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
knife7knut

Theile y Quack Elberfeld...............

Post by knife7knut »

Was going through my fixed blade knives today and came across this knife I've owned for about 25 years.When I first started researching the name I was without a computer and had no luck finding anything. Figured I'd give it another go now that the 'net has so much info.
Surprisingly enough the name popped up rather quickly.Apparently they were a German company that made knives and swords during the Spanish-American War.I found several examples of their work but not this particular one.
Briefly this one has a niclel plated brass handle in the shape of an eagle with the crossguard being a pair of birds(may not be eagles)with a fairly wide single edge spear point blade with what appear to be military markings.The scabbard appears to be made of thin sheet nickel with a soldered in throat and point protector.On one side there is what looks like a belt hook with the face of a woman with the sun or a halo behind her;perhaps the Virgin Mary.The other side has 4 small holes where something obviously was mounted.
The blade appears to be plated with nickel as well.
I believe it was made for either the Spanish or possibly Cuba as the wording appears to be Spanish.Has anyone seen one of these or have some history of the company? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Theile y Quack1.jpg
Theile y Quack2.jpg
Theile y Quack2.jpg (17.34 KiB) Viewed 3661 times
Theile y Quack3.jpg
Theile y Quack3.jpg (46.35 KiB) Viewed 3661 times
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
junebug

Re: Theile y Quack Elberfeld...............

Post by junebug »

HEY K7K!!!
COOL BLADE MAN!!!!! 8) 8) ::tu:: ::tu::
I FOUND THIS..... A 1, separated by a prismatic five-point star (1895, no. 5410): Theile & Quack, Elberfeld.
http://www.archivingindustry.com/cutler ... arks-1.pdf

AND A ANOTHER SITE SAID:

Elberfeld is NOT a German maker but the name of a town!

I thought we had agreed that A.E. was Arsenal do Exercito, Army Arsenal of Portugal.

If the blade is marked in full with Eberfeld then that's where it was made not far from Solingen.
There are no listed sword makers in Eberfeld and I feel that this trail is false, unless the blade is fully marked with Eberfeld as a place of manufacture. If this is so I would expect a maker/merchants name as well such as THEILE & QUACK EBERFELD on the Michael Long photo you put up.

In 1826 Friedrich Harkort, a famous German industrialist and politician, had a type of suspension railway built as a trial and ran it on the grounds of what is today the tax office at Elberfeld. In fact the railway, the Schwebebahn Wuppertal, was eventually built between Oberbarmen and Vohwinkel and runs through Elberfeld.

In 1888 the district of Sonnborn was incorporated into Elberfeld. In 1929 the towns of Barmen, Elberfeld, Vohwinkel, Cronenberg and Ronsdorf became a municipal entity officially called "Barmen-Elberfeld;" in the same year, the unified city administration through a vote of its council members decided to rename the newly-incorporated city "Wuppertal." This took place in 1930. Today Elberfeld is the largest municipal subdivision of Wuppertal.

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showth ... word/page2
NOT THE SAME KNIFE...BUT I BET THESE SWORD GUYS COULD HELP!!!^^^^^????????
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

There is an entry in the "Royal Prussian State Gazette" (Königlich Preussischer Staatsanzeiger) an official paper of the state, that because of the death of Wilhelm Theile his business under the company name "Theile et Quack" wil be continued by his former partner Alfred Quack. The date is December 30th., 1869.
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Thank you so much for posting that Frank! I believe that this one is a bit later than that;possibly Spanish-American War era(1890's).Whatever the case it is a neat piece.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”