J.W. Stutter knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

J.W. Stutter knife

Post by danno50 »

A fellow at work gave me this one today. Been quite heavily used. Tang stamps are rust pitted but with a hand lens the J.W. can be made out above STUTTER. Goins lists Stutter, but with no info. Found a reference on the internet about a fellow, with the last name Stutter, who has a collection of Stutter knives etc. He says J.W STUTTER was a manufacturer of knives and table cutlery (located in Bishopgate, London), among other things, starting in the 1820's and lasting until the 1960's, when they could no longer compete. They had quit making knives in 1955. He says his grandfather was the last owner of the company, selling it in the late 1960's. I also found a thread on British Blades about J.W. Stutter cutlery.
The triangular punch has been bent out and has pushed out the scale on the pile side. There are spots for tool (tweezers and toothpick?) in the back end, but the tools are missing. The knife measures 6 1/8"closed.
Dan
Attachments
DSCN1028.JPG
DSCN1029.JPG
DSCN1031.JPG
DSCN1032.JPG
DSCN1033.JPG
Dan
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: J.W. Stutter knife

Post by danno50 »

Just wondering if this knife is military or not? Assumed it was as the fellow who gave it to me thought that either his grandfather or one of his uncles had carried it in either WWI or WWII? Have gone through all the military knives threads on this forum and on British Blades, and have not seen anything similar posted?
Thanks
Dan
Dan

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”