A USN Mark 2 with a bit of history

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A USN Mark 2 with a bit of history

Post by Mossdancer »

Picked up this old guy from an Ex Coast Guard Diver. He appeared to be around his early 60's. His statement to me was we the divers all wanted one of these for our diving knife. He hinted that it was issued to him in a hard fiber sheath. He produced it to me in this leather sheath which I told him was more than likely the original for this type of knife. He thought differently. He used it while in the USCG, he hinted the condition had not changed much since it's issue. I have seen Mk 2's marked RCC with a RH37 nomenclature, this is my first with the ROBESON SHUREDGE mark. The leather and blade has been at some time covered with a black protective substance. I suppose to guard it from the salt. Looks to have been pretty effective. The leather next to the guard is missing. The round tang of the first or earlier Mk2's is shown in last photo, it is interesting in that it looks to have been squared off while re pinging after a surgery on the piece at some time. I will be interested to read your comments, If Traz happens to see this I would be very pleased with his enlightening thoughts on this knife.
moss
Attachments
PICT0001.JPG
PICT0003.JPG
PICT0004.JPG
PICT0005.JPG
PICT0006.JPG
PICT0007.JPG
PICT0008.JPG
PICT0009.JPG
PICT0010.JPG
PICT0001 (2).JPG
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A USN Mark 2 with a bit of history

Post by btrwtr »

Moss,

That is a real sweet MKII there. Love that Shuredge stamp and thick peened cap!

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
AR Norby

Re: A USN Mark 2 with a bit of history

Post by AR Norby »

Navy Mk IIs often came with a hard fiberglass sheath similar to the M8 Bayonet scabbard, so the old guy may be right.
Perception is Reality

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”