New release! Case V-42 nice knife @ crazy price

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
wazu013

New release! Case V-42 nice knife @ crazy price

Post by wazu013 »

I heard yesterday that Case unveiled a new reproduction of their V-42 at the Shot Show. I got excited and went looking. My excitement went into the dumper when I saw the MSRP is $549. At the end of the day it's just a reproduction made with CV steel and leather washers. http://www.wideopenspaces.com/w-r-case- ... -stiletto/
Just for arguments sake a Randall model 1-7" leather sells for $375. If you can't wait to get one they go for around $500 on the secondary market.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
knife7knut

Re: New release! Case V-42 nice knife @ crazy price

Post by knife7knut »

That is cool;maybe I can get them to sell me a repro handle for my original V-42
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

I'd like to see some good pic's of this one....it seems high to me.

I've got a 1992 repo V-42 by Case and it's a killer knife, got it for a hundred bucks.

Bob
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here is an ad for a V-42 reproduction made in England circa 1976. Going price was $175 back then! Wonder how many they sold? I also have a 1992 Case reproduction which is a nice piece but with several changes from the original to differentiate them.I think I paid around a hundred bucks at the time but might have gotten it in a trade.
My original V-42 I bought on e-Bay last year advertised as a letter opener with two other knives for $55 for all three. The handle had been replaced with a piece of plastic but fortunately the pommel was still there intact.It had never been sharpened and showed only minor spiderwebbing on the blade which was easily removed with a lead pencil.I made a handle for it theatre knife style out of clear Lexan until I can find a suitable replacement. Here are pics of what it looks like now.
Attachments
CaseV-42Repro1976.jpg
CaseV-42 Original and 1992Reproduction.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I swear I saw one of the originals a couple weeks ago at the local Army-Navy surplus store for something like $30. Guess I need to make a trip ASAP! With what that store carries, they're more like a military antique store as they have little from the current wars ,and mostly from wars long before I was born.

My (long deceased) great great uncle carried one in WWII. I'd love to know what happened to it. For all I know, it could be somewhere in this house with a lot of his other stuff. But, if it's anything like his pilot's knife, it's well used. The handles on the pilot's knife had been replaced, and I need to replace them with the right stuff.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”