Bayonet

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Bayonet

Post by stockman »

Trying to get information on this Bayonet. 14 1/2" overall, blade 9 3/4" Marked AFH/ U S between the U S there is a
circle with flames coming out on top of circle. Sheath is lightly marked U.S. in a circle. I sent pictures twice they showed they were attached. Probably not much you can do without pictures. I will try again.

Harold
knife7knut

Re: Bayonet

Post by knife7knut »

Sounds like a standard M-1 bayonet made by American Fork & Hoe Co.Something like this maybe? Mine was chrome plated.
Attachments
AFHBayonet1.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Thanks k7k, That one is not Chrome Plated. It was black but has been sharpened and has wear. What is one like the one you pictured worth.

Harold
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

stockman wrote:Thanks k7k, That one is not Chrome Plated. It was black but has been sharpened and has wear. What is one like the one you pictured worth.

Harold
I don't have a clue to be honest. I got it around 1968 for about $10 and a friend of mine who worked in a plating shop plated it. If anyone asks I tell them it's a "parade bayonet" :mrgreen:
I don't really keep up on values very much although I probably should. I gave a friend of mine an Al Mar knife awhile back and about a month later saw one go off on e-Bay for over $400! I forget the model name but it was the one with a sheath that looked like a holster for a single action Colt.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Thanks for the info. on the Bayonet.

Harold
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

"between the U S there is a circle with flames coming out on top of circle"

Harold, I assume this is the mark you're talking about. That is the U.S. Army Flaming Bomb ordinance mark. The use of the Shell and Flame by the Ordnance Branch dates back to 1832.
Attachments
Bomb.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Thank you Jerry, I should have known that, but I did not. I'am trying to help with a few knives in a estate. So far the
bayonet has been the best knife. There is more when they get them dug out. Hope some nice ones.

Harold

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”