Schatt & Morgan WW1 army knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
GerryD

Schatt & Morgan WW1 army knife

Post by GerryD »

I found this recently and its a bit out of my normal collecting area. As you can see its a army type jack knife made by Schatt & Morgan Cutlery Co. Titusville PA. I believe these were issued to the Canadian army during WW1. Its not marked with any army or government offices so I'm presuming it must have been a private purchase. Either way it found its way the the UK. It has a 4inch main blade, a 4 inch marlin spike and a can opener.It has jiggered bone scales and steel liners.

Anyway enjoy

Gerry
Attachments
_DSC2114.jpg
_DSC2115.jpg
_DSC2116.jpg
_DSC2111.jpg
_DSC2112.jpg
_DSC2113.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Schatt & Morgan WW1 army knife

Post by Quick Steel »

At a guess, I would think it more likely this was issued to the Canadian Navy or perhaps a private purchase by a Merchant seaman. I think this because of the Marlin Spike which is typical of nautical knives. In any case it is a very interesting knife.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Bernard Levine's "guide to Knives" 4th edition shows this Schatt & Morgan knife on page 200 with the following text: "Canadian issue WW I, bone stag: $175. Made in the U.S., but only for export."
kj
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

I have a book by Ron Flook on military knives but mainly UK stuff, small section on the commonwealth armies and it says the same issued to Canadian forces. If it wasn't for export it would have come over here with a soldier but as I say no marks. They don't fetch too much over here though.

Gerry
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"They don't fetch too much over here though."
GerryD, original Schatt & Morgan knives are very collectible here in North America as are "Sailor's Rope Knives" (Levine)
The condition looks excellent. At a guess i think here it might be $150 knife ? Don't see enough of this pattern on ebay to really know prices.
kj
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

kj Im sure you know we aren't allowed to sell knives on eBay! In theory you can't find a carrier to deliver them either. You can sell cut throat razors though and I bought one in the same lot. Sold the cut throat this evening (its 8 in the evening here) and got nearly all my money back. This would cost you £95 or maybe a bit more at an antique fair over here. I like the hunt and this is the first Schatt & Morgan I've seen but i must admit I didn't know what it was when I bid.

Gerry

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”