Have my eye on a M1905 bayonet...needs repair

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Ribbit

Have my eye on a M1905 bayonet...needs repair

Post by Ribbit »

In a local pawn shop I came across a M1905 bayonet (at least I am fairly certain that is what it is) dated 1918. It has been shortened. It has the scabbard.
The issue is this...the release button is missing. When the locking lug is depressed, I can see the lever move (through the hole created by the missing button).
I think I can buy it reasonable...but can it be repaired?
And where?

By the way...I am looking for a 1905 Or M1 bayonet to fit a Garand. I have "stuff" to trade or will consider buying straight out.
Thanks!
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Have my eye on a M1905 bayonet...needs repair

Post by Mossdancer »

Are you in the market for an original 16" or a later one WWII, Korea? Big difference in funding. You also have to beware of reproductions. An authentic original can run from $350.00 up 1918 SA marking is a 1905 it could be a WW II that has shorter blade, you should be able to find a working one for under $200.00 xlnt condition. PM me with needs and your trade stuff.
moss
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
Ribbit

Re: Have my eye on a M1905 bayonet...needs repairing

Post by Ribbit »

I finally laid the cash down for this cut-down version from a local pawn shop. The "button" was missing, so I purchased a lug/lever, a spring and a button from EBay. The seller specified that this "repair kit" came from a Pal M-1.
So...I used the button from the kit, the spring from the kit (it seemed "beefier" than the original in the knife I purchased) and the original lever/lug.
There was a significant difference in the levers...the original was heavier in all aspects.
Here is the finished, repaired knife. Works smoothly and locks tightly into the scabbard.
Satisfied with the entire process.
And I learned a ton about this piece of history in the process.
Attachments
IMG_1893.JPG
IMG_1895.JPG
IMG_1896.JPG

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”