British Army Clasp or Jack Knife - Can you help with manufacturer and date?

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Johnson55

British Army Clasp or Jack Knife - Can you help with manufacturer and date?

Post by Johnson55 »

I bought this at a militaria fair a few years back, reminded me of one we had knocking about the house when I was a kid, either my Grandad's (WW1) or Dad (WW2), unfortunately all of them long gone! It didn't cost much, a few quid. Since then, I've got a couple of others, but this one first.

Its pretty crude, but looking through a few previous posts, it may be a pattern 6353/1905, but a bit small? It's stamped H.J - 4? on the can opener tang. Maybe 43? But I did see in a post that the 'copper bow' was discontinued in 1941? It has stamps both sides of the marlin spike, possibly a broad arrow on one side, and something (3?) on the other.
Dscf0716.jpg
Dscf0697.jpg
Dscf0700.jpg
Dscf0704.jpg
Dscf0703.jpg
Dscf0705.jpg
I wonder if anyone can tell me a bit more about the knife?

Many thanks,

Charlie
cottage hill bill

Re: British Army Clasp or Jack Knife - Can you help with manufacturer and date?

Post by cottage hill bill »

Definitely not a 6353/1905. Yours is the WWII model and as you note, much smaller than the 6353/1905. The horn scales with the somewhat crude hand-done checkering makes me think Indian manufacture, although some of the British makers may have used that. Most of the British ones I have or have seen use bexoid (an early plastic) for the scales. Indian made knives differ some from the British production mostly because of available materials and skill of local labor but they are still legitimate military issue knives. When I get some more time I'll take a look in Flook's book and jog my memory.
Johnson55

Re: British Army Clasp or Jack Knife - Can you help with manufacturer and date?

Post by Johnson55 »

Thank you

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”