George Gill & Sons 1941 Clasp (or Jack) knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Johnson55

George Gill & Sons 1941 Clasp (or Jack) knife

Post by Johnson55 »

Another British Army Jack Knife.
Dscf0718.jpg
Dscf0719.jpg
SHEFFIELD partially hidden
SHEFFIELD partially hidden
Dscf0735.jpg
Dscf0737.jpg
A little rusty when I bought it, but has cleaned up quite well without much rust pitting. Fairly small and handy, its been used and the blade is worn down through sharpening. And very sharp too! :D Good Sheffield carbon steel. Very obvious date and War Office 'Broad Arrow' on the can-opener. Unlike most of the other Army Jack knives I've seen, no marlin spike. The manufacturer's name on the tang of the blade is much harder to discern; GEO GILL & SONS, had to guess at the name and came up trumps on a Google search, one for sale on Etsy, though I have my doubts about it being made for Women in WW2, couldn't find any reference to clasp knives specifically made for women, but if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will let me know!

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/4683325 ... tary-issue

I'd like to learn more about this and other clasp / jack knives, do comment or add!

Thanks,

Charlie
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: George Gill & Sons 1941 Clasp (or Jack) knife

Post by Miller Bro's »

Nice knife Charlie ::tu::

I don't have any information to add, maybe Bill knows more about it.
AAPK Janitor
cottage hill bill

Post by cottage hill bill »

Yup, standard issue British WWII. Bexoid scales, screwdriver blade as an extension of the liner. These were made both with and without the marlin spike. I've never seen any information relating to why, who or what regarding deleting the spike. I suspect it was an economy measure to both conserve resources and simplify manufacture.
Johnson55

Post by Johnson55 »

Thanks!

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”