WWII Artillery Sword

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
mumblypeg

WWII Artillery Sword

Post by mumblypeg »

Hello all, my first time in this forum. Was told I might be able to get some help identifying a military sword here. It belongs to a friend who's father brought it back from the Pacific at the end of the war. It's 19" total with a 14" blade. It has a logo stamped on the tang that I can't find any reference to. Was told it may be a Japanese sword, but the serial numbers (matches scabbard) have me doubting this. I appreciate any help with this.

Thanks,
Richard
Attachments
DSC01275.JPG
DSC01276.JPG
tang stamp
tang stamp
serial numbers
serial numbers
DSC01281.JPG
Richard

"Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."
zzyzzogeton

Re: WWII Artillery Sword

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I think the clue to origin is that set of stacked characters on the blade near the fuller. They "resemble" numerals from several languages, but do not exactly match the ones I checked - Thai/Siamese, Farsi and Malaysian and are not even close to Japanese or Chinese numerals.

The sword is similar to several Prussian blades, but none that I am familiar with have a blade that short.
mumblypeg

Post by mumblypeg »

Thank you for your help on this. I was doubting Japanese myself, you've confirmed that for us. I'll do some more research.
Richard

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

It might be helpful to learn what area of the Pacific your friend's father served in. Surely there were Indian regiments serving with the British which is why I am inclined to think the sword could be associated with them. [Singapore, Burma, Hong Kong, etc.]
mumblypeg

Post by mumblypeg »

He was in the Philippines, and was actually aboard the ship when the armistice was signed. I'll look into the Indian aspect, thanks.
Richard

zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The European font Roman numerals on both sword and scabbard is what makes me lean toward European origin. French, Prussian, Austrian all had matching serial numbers on swords/bayonets and scabbards. Supply system micromanagement. Some US weapons, some British, some Dutch, some Japanese. And others.

It doesn't look like anything I've ever seen come out of the Philippines or any east Asia country for that matter.

Highly possible that it was taken by a Japanese soldier from an armory on one of the Dutch East Indies islands, from Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, etc and then the Japanese soldier transferred to the PI, where your friend's father "liberated" it.

This happened with a lot of Dutch M1898/M1911 cutlasses when the Japanese captured the DEI armories. They removed the basket guards from them to make them "more Japanese-like". I have one of those bring-backs in my collection.
mumblypeg

Post by mumblypeg »

That is very interesting, ZZ. Thank you. ::tu:: I've some research to do.
Richard

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”