What do I have here?

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Byrd

What do I have here?

Post by Byrd »

I know that it's an M1 Garand bayonet, but it's unfinished. There's no locking mechanism to attach it to the rifle and the slot to attach it to the lug on the rifle is off center.
I got it from a bayonet box at Simpson's in Galesburg IL for $5. It was a wreck. Deeply pitted and rusted. I draw filed the blade until I was sick of it as I realized I'd never get to the deep pits so I bead blasted and parkerized it. The handles are probably bakelite and in very good condition and there's no tang stamp.
Has anyone ever seen this before? I bought two of them and the other is in much better condition than this one.
Attachments
20190616_171623_HDR.jpg
20190616_171648_HDR.jpg
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
samb1955

Re: What do I have here?

Post by samb1955 »

Looks good now, you did a good job on it.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

The picture you posted makes it difficult to see how long the blade is. I have a similar piece that has a 6 1/2 long blade.Supposedly made in South Korea sometime around the mid 1950's and issued as a side knife;hence the lack of an attachment lug to the handle.Here is a pic of mine.
Attachments
ShortBayonetMarked011 2018.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

knfe7nut, appreciate your reply. The blade on mine is 7 inches and from it's shape I wondered if it was a cut down 16 inch. I also wondered if it was a reject because of the off center lug cut. It being a side knife I hadn't thought of. The thing is a massive hunk of steel.

I actually have 3 of these. Two are unmarked with the bayonet cutouts in them and one marked Kutmaster on the tang without the bayonet cutouts.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The Kutmaster would be one made after the war from Utica spare parts left over after all contracts were canceled when Japan surrendered.

I would suspect that the unmarked ones are also from left over spare parts.

Any cut down version would have at least 1 set of stamps on it, the original manufacturer. I have a few cut-down versions that have 2 sets of stamps - the original stamps on the ricassos and a second company stamp indicating which company did the cut-down work.
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

That makes sense about the Kutmaster, but the other two have no markings at all. Another knife mystery!

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”