WW1 Era Harrison Bros & Howson Navy Folder

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Unclebob

WW1 Era Harrison Bros & Howson Navy Folder

Post by Unclebob »

Nice Flea market find today, (together with a Rodgers folder) WW1 era Royal Navy Admiralty Pattern 301 folder;
Attachments
WW1 Navy C1.JPG
WW1 Navy C2.JPG
kootenay joe

Re: WW1 Era Harrison Bros & Howson Navy Folder

Post by kootenay joe »

Uncle Bob, are you in USA or Britain ? And i have never seen any pattern or model numbers associated with old Navy knives.
Is there a book you can recommend that covers vintage Navy folding knives ? And which country issued this knife for their Navy ? Or are you using "Navy" as name of the pattern ?
Neat old knife. I hope to learn a bit more about it.
kj
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I'm with you Roland, I've never seen that knife before. Very interesting. ::tu:: ::tu::
cottage hill bill

Post by cottage hill bill »

As UncleBob correctly stated it is a British Admiralty Pattern 301 in use by the Royal Navy from around 1910 to the late 1930s. Best book available is British and Commonwealth Military Knives by Ron Flook. Out of print and a bit pricey, but as far as I know the only reference of it's kind.

If anyone knows of any other decent books on the subject please post them. Like any other first major work on a subject there are some errors and omissions in the book because new or more information has come to light after publication, but it is the biggest and best as far as I know.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you for this book reference. The only similar book i know of is by Mike Silvey but it covers folding knives of U.S. Military.
kj
Unclebob

Post by Unclebob »

kootenay joe wrote:Uncle Bob, are you in USA or Britain ? And i have never seen any pattern or model numbers associated with old Navy knives.
Is there a book you can recommend that covers vintage Navy folding knives ? And which country issued this knife for their Navy ? Or are you using "Navy" as name of the pattern ?
Neat old knife. I hope to learn a bit more about it.
kj
I'm UK based. Cottage Hill Bill has summed it up quite nicely for me. These turn up quite often and are big well made knives..I now own three of these!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

A knife made for The Royal Navy would be a rare find on this side of the Atlantic.
kj

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”