Unique Civil War Drawing

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
raincrowe

Unique Civil War Drawing

Post by raincrowe »

I know this is a little off the subject but I believe I might have found a original civil war drawing or a print..... the inscription on the bottom reads
The Prison over the Pearl River at Jackson Mississippi where Union Prisons have been confined.....Then it's looks like its signed
Drawn by G. Jerome Uhi Co.E K 081....Now this could be wrong because it's looked faded and hard to read it....Hopefully some of you civil war buffs can bring more light on this subject!!….I purchased this item several years ago at an estate auction in the bottom of a box done some research but wasn't able locate anything!! Thanks in advance!! ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_0468 (3).JPG
IMG_0472 (3).JPG
IMG_0471.JPG
cudgee

Re: Unique Civil War Drawing

Post by cudgee »

Fantastic piece of history you have there. Hopefully someone will be able to help you.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

I dont have anything useful to add, but that is a really cool drawing, and one I have not seen before. Interested in learning more...
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I just googled this thing up, it is a page from a magazine. There is one for sale on ebay in much better condition and at the end of the printing at bottom of page it says "see page 362". It is a page from Harper's Weekly magazine. This print was made somewhat copying an original drawing by a prisoner and in the original the guy in the boat below the bridge is facing the other direction and the original prisoner's drawing is in a museum. The ebay seller is asking $65 with no takers and his is in much better condition. Evidently the original drawing by a prisoner is in the Boston Fine Art Museum where it is not presently on display. It is from an 1863 edition of Harper's but it is still a magazine page and not an original drawing or a print that was made to sell as a print.
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Thanks for the information!! ::tu:: …...I've owned it many years didn't really cost me anything like I say in the bottom of a box at an estate sale!!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Really cool raincrowe. ::nod:: ::tu::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

As a Civil War student I would try to preserve it, perhaps laminate it.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”