Real or Fake M3 Trench Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
BryanJ

Real or Fake M3 Trench Knife

Post by BryanJ »

Need some help. Just received M3 from eBay. Upon inspection, I’m not convinced it’s authentic, looks like repro. Before I contact seller and express concern, I want other opinion. I’ve checked my WWII knife book (Michael Silvey) and compared it to photo and blade stamp looks close. But, compared to the M2 and M4 I’ve included in photo, the M3 does not seem right, the guard is loose and leather handle is so much smaller than other knives. I included photo of FS for heck of it. Let me know your opinion of M3. Thanks.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/tw451kwe/340cc01d/
tongueriver

Re: Real or Fake M3 Trench Knife

Post by tongueriver »

Your link is tagged as a malicious web page by Kaspersky antivirus.
BryanJ

Post by BryanJ »

Not sure why it would be flagged, have been using Postimage as photo posting site for several years.
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Link is working fine for me , possibly his antivirus isn’t letting him open it ::shrug::
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

That Trench Knife would be about 75 years old. It looks like its original to me. Camillus did issue a reproduction in the 90's (? unsure of date) - I owned one of the reproductions and I am not sure how you could make it look 70+ years old like that (but some enterprising criminal probably could). Handle widths varied somewhat on those knives between makers and models (the M-4 has a pommel with a bayonet lug lock on it). I have Utica and Imperial brand M-3 and M-4 models and the feel in the hand is different. Loose leather disks are somewhat common as the leather shrinks in time - could allow the guard to loosen. The MK-2 (not a US Army design) has a much wider feel in the hand than does the M3 and M4 (US Army designs). OH

Ps. I just did some more research - seems the US M-3 as built by Camillus in WW-II has two pins in the pommel and their re-issue has only one pin. Your knife as pictured has one pin. Here are some side by side comparison photo's.

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/m3.htm
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
BryanJ

Post by BryanJ »

Hunter. Thanks for the response. The general, overwhelming consensus, is the knife was a repro. There were plenty of reasons to believe it was fake, the most telling sign to me was that the minute I opened the box, it just felt cheap, not like a quality product manufactured to some sort of military specs. In addition to having one pin, one tell was something I’d never be able to photograph, but where the blade edge was cut at the ricasso, the medal was bright, certainly not cut 70+ years ago. I contacted the seller and told him that the knife description on eBay was wrong (WWII airborne...) it was a 90’s repro, and he agreed to a refund with no argument. It’s back in the mail now. I have to admit, I should have done my homework before I bought an M3 online. I am back in the hunt for another, and it now seems that most M3’s I see on eBay are suspect. I’ve seen a few that seem to be correct, but most I would not bid on. Not sure if others on the forum feel similarly.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I'm pretty sure this knife and scabbard are relatively recent production. But was this still made by Camillus and who made the scabbard? Also interested in approximate age and if these were always paired.

Thanks in advance! ::handshake::
Attachments
IMG_20210505_184549602.jpg
IMG_20210505_184452016.jpg
IMG_20210505_184422844.jpg
IMG_20210505_184413899.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

*bump* and thanks in advance. ::handshake::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Anyone have any idea who and or where this one was made? I assume it is a reproduction.
Attachments
DSCF7610.JPG
DSCF7611.JPG
DSCF7612.JPG
DSCF7613.JPG
DSCF7614.JPG
DSCF7615.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”