1918 knuckle duster trench knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
OSCAR

1918 knuckle duster trench knife

Post by OSCAR »

Always wanted an original but never found one. Not sure what a genuine one would cost, or how to tell if it’s an original. Any idea what it would cost and how to find one? What do you need to look for so as not to waste money on a counterfeit? Thanks
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 1918 knuckle duster trench knife

Post by doglegg »

Oscar there are a few listed on Stewarts Military Antiques.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

This guy wrote the book on 1918 Trench Knives, I was fortunate enough to meet him at the Antique Arms Show in Baltimore last year and picked up a signed copy.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... ariations/

Also this website has a lot of information on real vs. fake trench knives so you know what to avoid.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... fe-thread/

Here's an L.F.&C. and Au Lion that I have picked up, along with the cartridge belt their scabbard will clip into.
Attachments
1418432766160.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Red rider,Doglegg.....thanks for the information.
I will start with this. Not sure it’s within my budget, but I will try. I always wanted this knife.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
eveled

Post by eveled »

When I was a kid a neighbor was renovating his bathroom and found one inside the wall. I got to hold it and have never been the same. Very cool piece of history for sure. Nice set of knives RedRider. Good luck on your quest Oscar.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Thanks Eveled.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Just be careful about "replicas" and outright forgeries. There have been a ton of these made. One of the tells is the handle and blade stamps. Subtle nuances such as presence or absence of a period, font style, etc.

Over on usmilitaryknives.com, Mr. Frank Trzaska's website, there are articles about trench knives in Knife Knotes, Vols, 3,4,6.

Do a google search on "fake 1918 trench knives" and you'll get 300K+ results.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

eveled wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:29 pm When I was a kid a neighbor was renovating his bathroom and found one inside the wall. I got to hold it and have never been the same. Very cool piece of history for sure. Nice set of knives RedRider. Good luck on your quest Oscar.
Thank you, Sir. ::handshake:: I'm always on the lookout for the Diston and Oneida ones I don't have, and they're as rare as hen's teeth. The Antique Arms show at Timonium, MD was cancelled this year.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jtb

Post by jtb »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:29 pm Just be careful about "replicas" and outright forgeries. There have been a ton of these made. One of the tells is the handle and blade stamps. Subtle nuances such as presence or absence of a period, font style, etc.

Over on usmilitaryknives.com, Mr. Frank Trzaska's website, there are articles about trench knives in Knife Knotes, Vols, 3,4,6.

Do a google search on "fake 1918 trench knives" and you'll get 300K+ results.
I've generally avoid them because I just never took the time to learn the details. Some are obvious replicas, but some of the ones designed to passed off as fakes can be pretty close to original looking.
Checks out my items for sale https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jtb
brucegodlesky

Post by brucegodlesky »

Any clue to what type of steel was used for these blades? Did the milspecs specify exactly what grade of steel??

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”