D Guard Bayonet

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Cokerclan

D Guard Bayonet

Post by Cokerclan »

Anybody know anything about this bayonet I purchased some time ago. I tried to take some pics of the numbers on the blade but they are fairly worn with only a few visible.
DSC_0089.JPG
DSC_0090.JPG
DSC_0091.JPG
DSC_0092.JPG
DSC_0093.JPG
DSC_0094.JPG
DSC_0095.JPG
DSC_0096.JPG
zzyzzogeton

Re: D Guard Bayonet

Post by zzyzzogeton »

What is the blade length and muzzle ring inside diameter (ID)?

I have never seen one exactly like that. Several cutlass bayonets w/ d-guards but those all had baskets. I have looked through Jantzen's BAYONETS and found nothing that matches. It almost looks like a franken-bayonet.

No official US bayonet had a D-guard. There were some "experimental" guards made for the M7 bayonet, but those were never offical and are fantasy blades.

The stamp APPEARS as if it might be
UFH
over
U ordnance acceptance bomb S
over

with the left 1/3 of the stamp polished away.

However, the handle does NOT look like an M1905 1942 UFH production - those had a different pommel/handle structure/appearance, had black or reddish phenolic formaldehyde resin plastic handles, not walnut like the SA and RIA versions, 1905 -1918, small screws holding the handle scales on, not large slotted ones.

The blade does have a rounded fuller similar to the WW2 produced M1905s of late 1942/1943 and that of the 1898 Krag bayonet. BUT, the pommel/handle scale interface of the Krag is vertical and this interface is angled, similar to the M1891 Argentine Mauser and M1871/84 German Mauser bayonets. The lug release hole are similar to M1891 as well.

Hopefully someone else has seen one.
Cokerclan

Re: D Guard Bayonet

Post by Cokerclan »

Thanks for the reply. I end up with a few bayonets on occasion, but it is not my expertise. The blade length (just the blade) is 17 inches and the muzzle diameter is 5/8 inches.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”