Case337-6”Q pommel ??

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case337-6”Q pommel ??

Post by Ripster »

Evening folks, picked this old Case up on a road trip some years ago. My? Tonight, is this the correct pommel for this knife?? From what read and seen most say it not correct some say different. So I bring it here to AAPK And all of you .The other pommel said to be on this knife is much deeper (thicker) and dimpled on outer surface..
Attachments
FF271B0E-D796-4192-8A84-08AF02B31F03.jpeg
D36DE306-63B6-4E5A-A452-E3FF0F4C8DC6.jpeg
6C19E6A3-1FA2-45F0-87DC-64430B129406.jpeg
JP
Gunsil

Re: Case337-6”Q pommel ??

Post by Gunsil »

I'd swear I saw this knife on ebay recently. Yes, the pommel is a non-original replacement. The original was much thicker with flat sides. Too dark here now, I have a couple of these in near mint original condition, will try to photo tomorrow if nobody else shows an original one.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Gunsil wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:36 am I'd swear I saw this knife on ebay recently. Yes, the pommel is a non-original replacement. The original was much thicker with flat sides. Too dark here now, I have a couple of these in near mint original condition, will try to photo tomorrow if nobody else shows an original one.
That would be great .and,no this knife has never been on eBay while in my possession these last few years. So what’s the deal with the different pommels? Are these knives like I pictured a good knife or pieced together unit.And you’ve seen other non originals ,who’s doing this work to them? Thanks for your help. Have a good evening.
JP
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I have only seen one other with a replaced pommel similar to what your has. Your whole handle has also been shortened. Who replaced the pommels? Who knows? People will do anything. Here are the two variations, one marked CASE XX and the other only CASE in near mint original condition. Your knife had definitely been "modified" or "repaired", it is not factory original.

fullsizeoutput_218.jpeg
IMG_0595.jpg
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Gunsil wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:53 pm I have only seen one other with a replaced pommel similar to what your has. Your whole handle has also been shortened. Who replaced the pommels? Who knows? People will do anything. Here are the two variations, one marked CASE XX and the other only CASE in near mint original condition. Your knife had definitely been "modified" or "repaired", it is not factory original.

fullsizeoutput_218.jpegIMG_0595.jpg
Thank you ,your knowledge has been helpful and thanks for sharing.
JP
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

You're most welcome. These were originally designed and made for the Quartermaster Corp, and were supposedly made with the ability to pry open small crates and hammer their nailed lids back closed again. Some were issued to combat troops. I think sometimes somebody used the pommel to hammer too hard on something causing the thinner tang to snap off at the base of the pommel. Perhaps Case overly hardened the tang. One would then need to remove a little leather handle to fit another pommel on. I love the grooved leather, comfortable to hold with a sure grip. Cattaraugus made a similar knife 227-Q with a similar but different pommel and the handle wasn't nicely grooved, and they made many more of them than Case. Funny though, I have never seen a Catt version with a snapped off pommel whereas I have seen a half dozen Case versions with snapped off pommels. That one you have takes a great edge, and with that stout blade is still a fine hunting, camping, or utility knife.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”