US Camillus NY 7 inch Fixed Blade

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
woodwalker

US Camillus NY 7 inch Fixed Blade

Post by woodwalker »

Got this fixed blade a few years ago. I believe it is Viet Nam Era.
Attachments
20200923_164353.jpg
20200923_164314.jpg
zzyzzogeton

Re: US Camillus NY 7 inch Fixed Blade

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Between mid-1962, when Camillus started up again making the 20227 (post-WW2 designation of the USN-MK2/1219C2) and February 1974, when the NY was dropped.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I have the later one without the "NY". It's a very solid user, though really a bit big for most stuff. I can really use it hard and it seems to not even flinch. I have an Ontario version, and it's not even half the knife. Hard to believe Case has Ontario restamp it with their name, and sell it at a huge price jump (more than double the Ontario version).

I use this sheath typically, since someone long before me had did a mod sharpening the swedge, making it a semi-double edged blade. It was wearing through the stock leather sheath because of that mod, so I had to go with Kabar's option. Fits like it was made for a Camillus. I thought the thing wouldn't work, but it did. The retention strap on the pommel, however, is somewhat tight.

https://www.kabar.com/products/product.jsp?item=1216
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

woodwalker wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:48 pm Got this fixed blade a few years ago. I believe it is Viet Nam Era.
Nice one Kevin. ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:53 pm I have the later one without the "NY". It's a very solid user, though really a bit big for most stuff. I can really use it hard and it seems to not even flinch. I have an Ontario version, and it's not even half the knife. Hard to believe Case has Ontario restamp it with their name, and sell it at a huge price jump (more than double the Ontario version).

I use this sheath typically, since someone long before me had did a mod sharpening the swedge, making it a semi-double edged blade. It was wearing through the stock leather sheath because of that mod, so I had to go with Kabar's option. Fits like it was made for a Camillus. I thought the thing wouldn't work, but it did. The retention strap on the pommel, however, is somewhat tight.

The reason it fits like it was made for it is because in reality it was, made for it that is - the specs for all of the USN-MK2/1219C2/20227/Kabar repros are the same, dimension/size wise.

The only ones that might have a problem fitting would be any of the late WW2 versions or Utica made (1962/63) 20227s made with slightly curved guards. The curve in the guards MAY interfere with the retention teeth abouve the throat. Haven't tested that. Never thought about it before this.

But even the bent guard versions have the guard being straight along the blade where it would matter with the 1216.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:53 pm
woodwalker wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:48 pm Got this fixed blade a few years ago. I believe it is Viet Nam Era.
Nice one Kevin. ::tu::
Thank you Skip! ::handshake::
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:26 pm Between mid-1962, when Camillus started up again making the 20227 (post-WW2 designation of the USN-MK2/1219C2) and February 1974, when the NY was dropped.
Thank you sir for the information! Appreciate it. ::handshake::
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:53 pm I have the later one without the "NY". It's a very solid user, though really a bit big for most stuff. I can really use it hard and it seems to not even flinch. I have an Ontario version, and it's not even half the knife. Hard to believe Case has Ontario restamp it with their name, and sell it at a huge price jump (more than double the Ontario version).

It is a big solid user Cody. Heavy too. Made very well. ::handshake::

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”