U.S. Military knife/bayonet and sheath

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
raincrowe

U.S. Military knife/bayonet and sheath

Post by raincrowe »

I bought a interesting knife/ bayonet at a estate auction...approx.. 14 inches in length.. used-still has some mud on the sheath believe to be military issue....Just curious to know the age or when it was issued...Knife/ sheath does have some markings...
Sheath (front) U.S.M.8.. BM co. 28 is painted on also...Back side 61 painted white...small v.p 23....Knife itself marked U.S. M7 BOC...
Looks like the knife would attach to a rifle..The knife is approx.. 12 inches in length handle and blade included..
I'm guessing they were several hundred or maybe thousands made...
Would be greatly pleased to know more information about this knife...thanks in advance ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_1010 (2).JPG
IMG_1018.JPG
IMG_1012 (2).JPG
IMG_1014.JPG
IMG_1021.JPG
IMG_1011.JPG
IMG_1016.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: U.S. Military knife/bayonet and sheath

Post by jerryd6818 »

Bayonet for an M-14 rifle.
Date of Mfg. most likely in the '60s or '70s.
Number made, most likely in the millions (at the very least, the hundreds of thousands).
Painted on numbers indicate probably U.S.Army training facility (boot camp). I don't remember the Marine Corps painting numbers on our bayonets, but then I don't recall much of anything about ITR after boot camp. I don't "think" the Navy was issued a rifle and I know NOTHING about the Air Force.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::woot:: Navy Boot camp, we were issued a lead filled M1to carry for drills, marching and "Happy Hour" , which was "NOT" happy and it was not an hour . No bayonet was issued for use except for the drill team company. Jerry, wouldn't Marine issue bayonets have crayon markings instead of painted numbers? ::poke:: ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

That looks to be Army issue ,as Jerry said. And they were made in the Millions by a number of Companies. We bought a HUGE lot of them really cheap a few months ago . They’re a nice bayonet ,but there value isn’t going anywhere, too many out there. If you want to learn more go on line to US Bayonets, military , or any of those types of websites and there is a lot of info on the makers.
JP
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

fergusontd wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:25 pm ::woot:: Navy Boot camp, we were issued a lead filled M1to carry for drills, marching and "Happy Hour" , which was "NOT" happy and it was not an hour . No bayonet was issued for use except for the drill team company. Jerry, wouldn't Marine issue bayonets have crayon markings instead of painted numbers? ::poke:: ftd
Awww Ferg. You make me laugh. You funny fella.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
BatJak

Post by BatJak »

BatJak

Post by BatJak »

Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Going to throw this out there that particular bayonet ,the op, was more than likely issued in boot camp or AIT camp. The yellow and white had a significance to unit Armorer, etc , etc. Having spent several years as Drill Sergeant ,seen millions of these stateside. To say that this bayonet could be a war trophy seems far fetched,not impossible though. Buts it’s still just a regular old bayonet and no letter from a navy Co is going to make them a war trophy ,worth much more than the other ones. It may mean something on a personal level ,and not trying to disagree about “ war trophy “ thing . Go with whatever you’re interested in.
JP
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

The BOC stands for Bauer Ordnance Company the manufacture. I was always told BOC meant Vietnam era.
Eye Brand Collector
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

BatJak wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:40 pm Could be (slight chance) it's a war trophy.
I have a US bayonet I got when I participated in "Operation Just Cause" (invasion of Panama) '89-'90.
Panamanian forces used a lot of gear from US and also a lot of cheap crap from china. (hmmm, so did we...)
Don't remember exactly but it has similar numbers painted on it.
I also have a paper signed by the Navy CO to authorize it as a war trophy. (I was USMC)
Would be difficult to prove the provenance of yours I think.
You must have been 0300???????? Out of Lejeune???????????

Pay no attention to Ripster. He's had too many Milkbones today. ::poke:: ::tease:: (although he's most likely correct about boot camp or AIT)
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Eye Brand Man wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:26 pm The BOC stands for Bauer Ordnance Company the manufacture. I was always told BOC meant Vietnam era.
::shrug:: I have an Imperial with it's original packaging that's from 1968.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:29 pm
BatJak wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:40 pm Could be (slight chance) it's a war trophy.
I have a US bayonet I got when I participated in "Operation Just Cause" (invasion of Panama) '89-'90.
Panamanian forces used a lot of gear from US and also a lot of cheap crap from china. (hmmm, so did we...)
Don't remember exactly but it has similar numbers painted on it.
I also have a paper signed by the Navy CO to authorize it as a war trophy. (I was USMC)
Would be difficult to prove the provenance of yours I think.
You must have been 0300???????? Out of Lejeune???????????

Pay no attention to Ripster. He's had too many Milkbones today. ::poke:: ::tease:: (although he's most likely correct about boot camp or AIT)
Jerry ,too much coffee will do it too my friend.
JP
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:36 pm
Eye Brand Man wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:26 pm The BOC stands for Bauer Ordnance Company the manufacture. I was always told BOC meant Vietnam era.
::shrug:: I have an Imperial with it's original packaging that's from 1968.
Yes multiple company's made them in Vietnam era. It's my understanding BOC produced them only in Vietnam era, other's produced them during and after.
Eye Brand Collector
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

BM Co. = Beckwith Manufacturing Company.
VP = Victory Plastics Division of BM Co. The 25 under the VP is the mold control number.
USM8 = US Model 8 bayonet scabbard WW2 era scabbard

As already mention M7 BOC = Model 7 bayonet made by Bauer Ordnance Co.

The M7 bayonet was developed for the M16 rifle (which was based on the original Armalite AR-15).

The first M7s (approx 20k) were made in 1961 by Colt in West Haven Conn for the USAF.

The M16 was officially introduced to the Army in 1964 and then other M7 manufacturers were awarded contracts to make the M7 == Imperial, BOC, Ontario, Conetta, MILPAR (Columbus MILPAR & Manufacturing Co), GENCUT (General Cutlery) and Frazier.

BOC made the most M7 bayonets - over 1.8 million delivered to the US Government.

Depending on what article you read, BOC, Imperial and/or MILPAR supplied the first M7. All 3 started making them in 1964.

Your M8 scabbard is either a modified version M8 or a very early M8A1. Look at the hanger - if the part holding the M1910 double hook is ADDED to the hanger, your M8 started out life as an M8 and was converted some time after the M8A1 came out in 1944.

The USM8 did not have the M1910 wire attachment loop. In 1944, the M1910 hook was officially added and the scabbard became the M8A1. For a short while, the M8A1 scabbards had M8 throats. Probably due to having the alrteady marked throat pieces on hand when the change was made.
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

First of all I would like to thank those who are severing or have served in the military!!
I greatly appreciated all the feedback its amazing how much I don't know...Thanks Again!
CamMan21

Post by CamMan21 »

Ripster wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:14 pm Buts it’s still just a regular old bayonet and no letter from a navy Co is going to make them a war trophy ,worth much more than the other ones. It may mean something on a personal level ,and not trying to disagree about “ war trophy “ thing .
It's been my experience that no weapon (including a bayonet) is coming on a ship unless it's an issued TO weapon, or is accompanied by a letter authorizing it as a war trophy.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”