German Bayonet - 1944

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Old Hunter

German Bayonet - 1944

Post by Old Hunter »

Friend of mine gave me this bayonet this past week - it was in his late fathers collection of military rifles and equipment. He knows nothing about it, his Dad was a Marine and served in both Korea and in Vietnam but not in WW-II or in Europe, so he didn’t bring it back. I have found out this much: cof is the code for Carl Eickhorn Waffenfabrik, Solingen, the company manufactured bayonets from 1941-45. The scabbard and the knife have the same serial number. I found no marks on the frog. OH
Attachments
280F0D6F-254D-4FE6-B30C-9EFB4CE70E38.jpeg
69E9F4D8-C818-4341-A304-11886EFD4172.jpeg
EF378553-F1F4-42CA-A26D-B42CA0B953E4.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Bladeaholic

Re: German Bayonet - 1944

Post by Bladeaholic »

K98 Bayonet. Mauser Rifle. Good that the numbers are the same. A true match.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thanks!
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Most excellent, OH! ::tu:: And the frog looks really nice too, a lot of times they fall to pieces due to improper storage. Interesting that bayonets didn't have RZM numbers, but had other codes.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
EWMailman

Post by EWMailman »

Nice addition OH. I had opportunity a couple of years back to sell at auction a piece very similar to yours. I was told by a gentleman who seemed credible enough that matching serial numbers were a little harder to come by. According to him, upon surrender, bayonets were placed in one pile while scabbards were placed in an entirely different location thus separating them. I cannot verify that but it seems plausible enough and if accurate, very interesting.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Gents, thank you for the additional information. The frog is in excellent shape for its age, no splits or tears - its intact. OH

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”