British WWI pocket knife with pistol?

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Bert Barrel

British WWI pocket knife with pistol?

Post by Bert Barrel »

Hello everybody,

I'm new here, but a collector for more than 30 years....

This is what I found a week ago : it looks like a standard British WWI pocket knife, made by Frankmill in Sheffield, no military markings, no Broad Arrow on it. Instead of the "spike", there is a little pistol mounted on this knife. It isn't home-made, but definitely done in a factory.
The pistol is a combination of a bolt-action an a percussion-muzzle-loader : when you pull the bolt backwards, you can put a percussion-cap on the nipple inside the barrel. Than you have to load the pistol through the barrel with some blackpowder and a small bullet.

I can't find any information about this item, so I hope anybody can help me!
Are these knives also used by the Britis army or is it just a gadget?

Please have a look at the pics....all information is very welcome

DSC07021.JPG
DSC07022.JPG
DSC07024.JPG
DSC07025.JPG
DSC07026.JPG
DSC07028.JPG
DSC07029.JPG
DSC07030.JPG
Bert Barrel

Re: British WWI pocket knife with pistol?

Post by Bert Barrel »

DSC07021.JPG
DSC07022.JPG
DSC07023.JPG
DSC07027.JPG
DSC07029.JPG
DSC07030.JPG
DSC07028.JPG
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Perhaps a conversion from an Army knife?
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Bert Barrel wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:33 pm Hello everybody,

I'm new here, but a collector for more than 30 years....

This is what I found a week ago : it looks like a standard British WWI pocket knife, made by Frankmill in Sheffield, no military markings, no Broad Arrow on it. Instead of the "spike", there is a little pistol mounted on this knife. It isn't home-made, but definitely done in a factory.
The pistol is a combination of a bolt-action an a percussion-muzzle-loader : when you pull the bolt backwards, you can put a percussion-cap on the nipple inside the barrel. Than you have to load the pistol through the barrel with some blackpowder and a small bullet.

I can't find any information about this item, so I hope anybody can help me!
Are these knives also used by the Britis army or is it just a gadget?

Please have a look at the pics....all information is very welcome

DSC07021.JPGDSC07022.JPGDSC07024.JPGDSC07025.JPGDSC07026.JPGDSC07028.JPGDSC07029.JPGDSC07030.JPG
Hey, want to welcome you aboard here. Don’t know anything about the pistol barrel. That is a new one on my end. Thanks for sharing that,very interesting piece. Let us know if you get any more info about it elsewhere, very curious now.
Thanks again, stay safe out there.
JP
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

What a great little knife. Probably cutting edge in it's day. Thanks for sharing and welcome. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. That’s an interesting knife to say the least. Sorry I can’t tell you anything about it, it’s the first one like it I’ve seen. Thanks for showing it here.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

First I've ever seen, also.

Welcome aboard! Be sure to let us know if/when you do find any info.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

I suspect that; what someone did was, they removed the marlin spike and replaced it with the gun barrel. Someone at the factory possibly thought it would be a 'funny' and unique piece or it was a creative fantasy of someone's imagination. ::shrug:: (See third photo below)

Oops! That what you stated in your OP narrative. ::facepalm::

As a side note: I came across this bit of history regarding Sheffield knives made by Ibberson. Their trademark / tang stamp was the Violin. In the photo, you can see the violin hanging from the back wall.

Ibbersons were at the Central Works (102 West Street, Bayley Lane corner) until 1910, but by June 1911 had moved into the Sycamore Tree Works at 112-116 Rockingham Street. Their trademark Violin was in use in 1901 (see Whites Directory 1901 below). By February 1912 their new premises in Rockingham Street were being referred to as the Violin Works.
Attachments
SHEFFIELD FACTORY - IBERSON KNIVES.jpg
Scissors.jpg
Clasp Knives.jpg
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I remember similar knife/pistol combinations being shown here before. If I recall, their original origin was for trappers, to dispatch trapped animals at close-range. Not really intended for hunting or self-defense in general.

But, as to why someone would convert one to a pistol? That's lost to the sands of time. This definitely looks like whoever did it was a gunsmith, and knew what they were doing.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That's really cool, thanks for posting and ::welcome:: to AAPK! If you sell it in the States you would have to go through and FFL to do so legally. ::nod::

Edit: not in most States for black powder. ::dang:: And pack the barrel before adding the percussion cap. 😉
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
eveled

Post by eveled »

Neat knife. I don’t understand why you think it has to be made in a factory and that it’s definitely not homade.

There are a lot of talented machinists out there. It’s would be simple for one of them to make.
Mr. Chips

Post by Mr. Chips »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:09 pm That's really cool, thanks for posting and ::welcome:: to AAPK! If you sell it in the States you would have to go through and FFL to do so legally. ::nod::

Edit: not in most States for black powder. ::dang:: And pack the barrel before adding the percussion cap. 😉
Yes. The statement about putting the percussion cap on before loading the powder and ball, had all of us muzzle loader people yelling "NOOOOOO!!!"
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::hmm:: Looks to me like the trigger might be similar to a gravity knife trigger.

If I had a machine shop and materials, I could probably crank out enough oddities to end up in jail. ::mdm::
Attachments
16104163213583502896717314945423.jpg
Screenshot_20210111-205119.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Very cool!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Welcome to AAPK!
::handshake::
::welcome::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:09 pm That's really cool, thanks for posting and ::welcome:: to AAPK! If you sell it in the States you would have to go through and FFL to do so legally. ::nod::

The American made ones that take a .22 are banned federally and I think you can only have one with an FFL Class III license. I've been thinking a lot about the OP knife, and the barrel is awfully short for a muzzle loader. If it were meant to shoot the firing pin could haave easily been closer to the frame making for a longer barrel. I wonder if it was made for positive ignition of standard 1/4" diameter dynamite fuse? They make (or made) igniters with a hollow tube and friction primer for positive ignition of dynamite one foot per minute fuse. This knife attachment would work well with a percussion cap for this purpose. Also the OP knife is way newer than the black powder era.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

The mechanism reminds me a little of the pocket flare pistols the pilots would carry in the 1960's. Only difference was the flares screwed into the end of the barrel.Looked like an oversize ball point pen or small flashlight.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
eveled

Post by eveled »

Could it be as simple as a fire starter?
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I still think it is a "sappers" knife for dynamite work.
Bert Barrel

Post by Bert Barrel »

Thanks for the reactions!!! A detonator for dynamite.....indeed this seems more likely to me than a percussion pistol.
I'm going to inquire at the army !! If I have results, I will let you know for sure !!

Greetings to all!!!!

Bert

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”