Old machete

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Eustace

Old machete

Post by Eustace »

Today brought me an old machete to clean and sheath. The man also wanted a new handle, but I dissuaded him - the original is made of horn in pretty good condition.
After a little cleaning, a stamp was found - EL LIBERTADOR SIMON BOLIVAR. The information on the net about the brand is scarce - possibly German production.
The story is the most interesting. The man claims that machete is from his grandfather, who during the Second World War served in the Bulgarian occupation troops in Greece and brought it from there.
So is there any connection with any army or is it an accidental find of the grandfather?
I couldn't take a good picture of the marking. Tomorrow, after I clean it, I'll try again.
Attachments
IMG_20210214_141021.jpg
IMG_20210214_141118.jpg
TPK

Re: Old machete

Post by TPK »

Hello Georgi,

Maybe you have already found this, maybe not. ::shrug:: Looks like the one you have. ::hmm::

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... any-no-721
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

TPK wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:27 pm Hello Georgi,

Maybe you have already found this, maybe not. ::shrug:: Looks like the one you have. ::hmm::

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... any-no-721
Thanks Tom! Yes, I saw that. Unfortunately, it does not provide much information about the manufacturer or dating.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Georgi: It sounds like it might be from South America.Haven't seen that stamp before but I will see if I can find anything on it. Hope all is well with you my friend!
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

knife7knut wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:54 pm Georgi: It sounds like it might be from South America.Haven't seen that stamp before but I will see if I can find anything on it. Hope all is well with you my friend!
Thanks, Ray! I hope everything is fine with you too!

A few photos after cleaning and repairing the handle. The question may seem silly, but is it possible that the handle is not a horn but a celluloid?
Attachments
IMG_20210221_174825.jpg
IMG_20210221_175320.jpg
IMG_20210221_175038.jpg
IMG_20210221_174956.jpg
IMG_20210221_174931.jpg
IMG_20210221_174920.jpg
IMG_20210221_174906.jpg
IMG_20210216_180943.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Eustace wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:06 pm
knife7knut wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:54 pm Georgi: It sounds like it might be from South America.Haven't seen that stamp before but I will see if I can find anything on it. Hope all is well with you my friend!

A few photos after cleaning and repairing the handle. The question may seem silly, but is it possible that the handle is not a horn but a celluloid?
That last picture of the butt end tells me that it is horn. Usually the easiest way to tell if it is horn is to examine it under a loupe of about 10x.Horn is basically solidified hair and it will exhibit long parallel lines running the length of the handle and the end will sometimes look like the core of bone or antler. Although I discourage hot pin testing of any kind ,if you choose to do that it will give off the smell of burning hair. If I had to guess I would say it was cow horn.
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

knife7knut wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:27 pm
Eustace wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:06 pm

That last picture of the butt end tells me that it is horn. Usually the easiest way to tell if it is horn is to examine it under a loupe of about 10x.Horn is basically solidified hair and it will exhibit long parallel lines running the length of the handle and the end will sometimes look like the core of bone or antler. Although I discourage hot pin testing of any kind ,if you choose to do that it will give off the smell of burning hair. If I had to guess I would say it was cow horn.
I also think it is a horn, but a person with a lot of experience in the Bulgarian forum claims that it can be celluloid. I haven't seen an old celluloid, I haven't worked with one, and I don't know what the resemblance to horns is.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Eustace wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:03 pm
I also think it is a horn, but a person with a lot of experience in the Bulgarian forum claims that it can be celluloid. I haven't seen an old celluloid, I haven't worked with one, and I don't know what the resemblance to horns is.
Again I would refer to the last picture.The lines are clearly visible.Not straight but parallel to each other. One easy way to tell: rub the surface briskly with a dry cloth. Celluloid will give off a very distinct odor whereas horn usually will not. Do not rub too hard though because if it were celluloid it might flare up.Just my opinion my friend.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Looks like horn to me also.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”