Swiss E-Tool / 1962

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Swiss E-Tool / 1962

Post by KLJ77 »

There was a wooden tool box full of old tools my wife's father used and had in my garage. Silly me, after sitting there for years, I finally decided to 'take a l@@k' inside. Buried under several other tools was this Swiss entrenching tool (shovel) with the (I'm assuming) original leather sheath. The shovel blade is stamped GSCHWIND 1962, and the leather sheath stamped "F.DUPONT SELLIER GRANDVILLARD 59" The '59' standing for 1959, according to research. Grandvillard was a small town in Switzerland, and F. Dupont is in reference to Francis Dupont, I believe. ::shrug:: If the E-tool and sheath are original to each other, I don't know why there would be two different dates. ::shrug::

Anyway...I cleaned up the leather sheath best I could, but the shovel is in really nice shape. A nice piece of history. I don't know where my wife's father picked this up from, but he spent a lot of time in the European theater during his 30 Air Force career.

Thanks for looking...comments welcome.
Attachments
IMG_0171.JPG
IMG_0206.JPG
IMG_0205.JPG
IMG_0172.JPG
IMG_0173.JPG
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
cody6268

Re: Swiss E-Tool / 1962

Post by cody6268 »

Nice! I have not seen one of those before. Personal opinion--sheath and shovel were stored and issued separately. These, like the 1965 German shovel I have are a far better design than the tubular steel E-Tool the US and most other militaries use these days. They feel like a quality tool, not a piece of pot metal like the current USGI issue. Of course, that being said, I've treated my USGI shovel poorly, and it's stood up. I have to frequently disassemble the German shovel, clean it, and then lubricate it, as dirt affects the function heavily. I lost a spring last time I disassembled it, and it it's currently out of service. But, it's a strong shovel, and with proper maintenance, it does more than the US issue shovel when needed.

Here is an OLD thread about it I (long before I started reading so many threads here, and building my knowledge) started not long after I first joined:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45323&hilit=shovel

Swiss issue stuff is really good quality, but expensive. I've been trying to get a leather and canvas backpack for ages. I do have a small 1984-dated "bread bag", and that thing is as tough as nails, and can carry more than you think it could. It's been a bookbag, laptop bag, and toolbag. I also have Swiss Soldiers, dated 1942, 1993, 2008 (last year the aluminum handle model was made before they went to the one-hand opener), and 2013.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Thanks Cody for the information and link. ::handshake:: The tool and the sheath being issued separately makes sense. So the tool (shovel) was made in 62, and the sheath in 59. ::tu:: From what I've researched, these Swiss E-tools are highly sought after and appears to be a rare item. They are also regarded as the 'best' of the 'best', when it comes to E-tools. The Swiss make very high quality items.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Anyone know what the word "GSCHWIND" means? Or is that the manufacturer?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:51 pm Anyone know what the word "GSCHWIND" means? Or is that the manufacturer?
GSCHWIND is the manufacturer. In 1943, the name was changed to GSCHWIND & CIE factory. In 1981, the factory burned down and they stopped making these E-tools.
LJ

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”