Inspectors Pocket kit. Signal Corps,U.S.ARMY.

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Inspectors Pocket kit. Signal Corps,U.S.ARMY.

Post by Ripster »

Received this Inspectors kit w Ulster Electricians Knife . This kit was used by the signal corps around the time of Radio/ telephone ,1916 to ? They introduced the Radio / telephone to the European theater in 1918 . They also had Army Air and Balloon units . So this kit could have been used in numerous places. The Signal Corps did intend for it to be used indoors. The kit contains : 1 Ulster Electricians knife 1 Clauss Scissors 1 Pexto Pliers
1 Tweezers,and file unknown manufacturer. Screwdriver by Tuck and a Lufkin Rule . Also a few pics of some TL - 29 s which came along later and the Case pic for reference. There’s also a TL-11 made by Camillus, and Miller bros made a nice Jack. Many companies came on board for these knives. If you have any please feel free to show them . Anything Signal Corps related. Anyone seen a TL -13 , do believe there’s that out there as well ,but could use help on that one. Thanks much .
Attachments
9CE9AE13-6770-4507-96C5-6EC0C49D9033.jpeg
FBED2AED-F4C4-4231-9B82-43E799D6580D.jpeg
8B5E8DE5-C6B6-4067-A72B-BEAA21658C8B.jpeg
17707923-3A9D-49E6-B643-BAA2F735DAE9.jpeg
AB6160D6-38FD-47B3-B49D-6D63FF10DAF3.jpeg
08093A6E-B4F4-427C-983C-CD0F713C0773.jpeg
JP
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Inspectors Pocket kit. Signal Corps,U.S.ARMY.

Post by doglegg »

Great set. Good luck with all those TL's. ::nod:: ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Very neat to have the complete kit. Do you know how long these were in use ? e.g. up to and including WW II ?
kj
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Floyd and Roland ,thank you for the kind words.
Roland, don’t know how long the set was issued or used. Have been looking for tech manuals or any info on these sets and just can’t find any more info. If anyone out here reading this knows more please let me know. It was used thru WW1 for sure. This is the only kit of this kind I’ve ever held or seen that’s complete. Purchased it from Obsidian Edge ( Mike ) and he’s of the mind this set he bought from Mike Silvey. Am currently trying to get ahold of some of the experts in this field to find out more .
JP
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

Glad you like the kit, JP. I recall seeing just one other complete set.
Mike Robuck

Author: "Gun Trader's Guide to Collectible Knives"
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Very nice set! ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Ripster wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:37 am Received.....
If you have any please feel free to show them . Anything Signal Corps related.
Per your invitation, JP. By the way, that is a FANTASTIC, complete set that you posted. ::tu:: ::tu::

Very recently, this electrician or lineman, pattern or style of pocket knife arrived in a group or lot of pocket knives that I bought. It now becomes my latest example to be posted under this topic or thread. I did not buy the group or lot for this particular pocket knife. I was surprised and pleased to discover it among the group or lot of pocket knives and it did get added to my general pocket knife accumulation. It is a KEEN KUTTER/Red Devil, U.S. SIGNAL CORPS, one blade, one tool (wire stripper), two tang stamps, 3 5/8" closed, two springs, electrician or lineman, pattern or style of pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp has the KEEN KUTTER logo or trademark symbol and says, "E.C. SIMMONS (over) KEEN (over) KUTTER (over) ST. LOUIS (over) MO." The tool front tang stamp says, "Red Devil (over) S. & H. CO. (over) NEW YORK (over) U.S.A." The shield says, "U.S. SIGNAL CORPS" Per GOINS (1998 Edition), "RED DEVIL S & H CO. N.Y. c 1900-1956 A trademark used by Smith & Hemenway from 1900 to 1936, and by L.P. Smith from 1936 to 1956." The main blade has no half stop, but it does have an ok opening and closing snap. The tool also has no half stop, but it does have an ok opening and closing snap. Overall, this pocket knife is in FAIR+ condition. It required a very minor cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
The Tool Front Tang Stamp.
The Tool Front Tang Stamp.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:45 pm
Ripster wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:37 am Received.....
If you have any please feel free to show them . Anything Signal Corps related.
Per your invitation, JP. By the way, that is a FANTASTIC, complete set that you posted. ::tu:: ::tu::

Very recently, this electrician or lineman, pattern or style of pocket knife arrived in a group or lot of pocket knives that I bought. It now becomes my latest example to be posted under this topic or thread. I did not buy the group or lot for this particular pocket knife. I was surprised and pleased to discover it among the group or lot of pocket knives and it did get added to my general pocket knife accumulation. It is a KEEN KUTTER/Red Devil, U.S. SIGNAL CORPS, one blade, one tool (wire stripper), two tang stamps, 3 5/8" closed, two springs, electrician or lineman, pattern or style of pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp has the KEEN KUTTER logo or trademark symbol and says, "E.C. SIMMONS (over) KEEN (over) KUTTER (over) ST. LOUIS (over) MO." The tool front tang stamp says, "Red Devil (over) S. & H. CO. (over) NEW YORK (over) U.S.A." The shield says, "U.S. SIGNAL CORPS" Per GOINS (1998 Edition), "RED DEVIL S & H CO. N.Y. c 1900-1956 A trademark used by Smith & Hemenway from 1900 to 1936, and by L.P. Smith from 1936 to 1956." The main blade has no half stop, but it does have an ok opening and closing snap. The tool also has no half stop, but it does have an ok opening and closing snap. Overall, this pocket knife is in FAIR+ condition. It required a very minor cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Skip , Thank you for the pics and info. That KK US Signal corps knife with the Red Devil stamp on the tool is not one I’ve seen before . Have seen them with one or the other stamp on both blade and tool but not as you’ve shown with your recent post.
The Red Devil that is shown in my pic doesn’t indicate Signal Corp anywhere so maybe it was a not a military issue piece .
Thanks for the post Skip. With that KK stamp would that have been made by Walden knife in New York ?
Attachments
IMG_2602.jpeg
IMG_2603.jpeg
IMG_2604.jpeg
JP
CarMan

Post by CarMan »

Absolutely awesome kit. I collect the TL-29’s when I can, especially those with wood handles. I have not been able to get one with the Signal Corps badge yet, but someday maybe. I would also like to get a bone handle one TL-29, but I’m not sure if they made that. I may have to look at the civilian electrician’s knife to find a bone handle one. So many knives and so little funds. This hobby can run a man broke. I will try to remember to get a picture of my TL-29s.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”