My Dad's Case V-44 Aircrew Machete.

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
TomcatPC

My Dad's Case V-44 Aircrew Machete.

Post by TomcatPC »

Hello

I might have mentioned before about my Dad being a gunner in a TBM Avenger during the War. Here is a Case XX V-44 Machete he brought back with him. I think this one was a spare he used on Guam and other islands when not on a carrier. I assume he aquired a spare to use, as these were part of a survival kit carried in the aircraft. I'll ask him for more details next time I see him.

As for the designation "V-44", it seems many people think a "V-44" is a large "Bowie type" knife, I think the name "Collins No.18" is the real name. I will try to find a link that gives more information than I know. I have heard that the Case non-folding machete is the "real" V-44, so I use that designation.
Mark
TomcatPC

Post by TomcatPC »

http://plowshareforge.blogspot.com/2006 ... 28900.html

Hopefully this link works, it gives more information about the V-44 missidentification.
Mark
TomcatPC

Post by TomcatPC »

TomcatPC

Post by TomcatPC »

Scroll down to "Aircrew Survival Knives".

http://www.oregonknifeclub.org/frank2.html
Cope

Post by Cope »

I don't know "anything" and I stress anything about military items, including knives, but I do love to see when a man has his dad's knife (or anything else that meant something to his dad at one time). Although I do have a couple of pocket knife reminants that my dad carried years ago, knives never meant anything to him, and still don't really. He did and does buy the cheapest thing he can find and if he don't lose it, completely wears it out or uses until it falls apart. I snatched the few I have from him when I was a kid. I'm sure he was probably going to throw them away but I beat him to it. Since he wasn't a big knife fan, and these aren't old case of catt's they will have to do. Thanks for showing Tom, good to see you have something your dad cared about.

Brad

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”