MILITAER BRODMESSER

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
zorrothegreyblade

MILITAER BRODMESSER

Post by zorrothegreyblade »

Didn't know where to post this, here, European or Q&A? Don't know anything about it's history, obviously old, metal scales, German script. Anyone with information or a pure guess please feel free to post here! Thanks for looking, Dave ::tu::
Attachments
100_0751.jpg
stop me when I get boring
Ringmaster

Re: MILITAER BRODMESSER

Post by Ringmaster »

Can't even begin to be of help Dave...

But I was wondering about the notch in the back square... was it designed to lock, somehow ? ( I can't see a lock-release ?)

My German is zero, what does that translate to ? Military Knife ?

WW I production, perhaps ?

Curious,
JR
"A knife without a blade, for which the handle is missing."
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain.
zorrothegreyblade

Hi JR,

There's no lock for the blade, just an ordinary slip joint?

MILITAER is german for military, MESSER is knife, BRODMESSER I can't find a translation for!

I'm thinking (guessing) its not standard army issue, the pressed steel scales would not stand up to a lot of abuse, could have been made for kadet/boy scouts?

Agewise it could be anywhere between early 1900's and late 30's, dont think its post WW2, but again its just guesswork ::shrug::
zorrothegreyblade

Making progress with this one, Found a guy with German ancestry on Blade forums, says there was a standardisation of written German around 1900, amongst others BROD became BROT, which means bread in English, so it is a Military Breadknife!

Bernard Levine reckons the Germans marked lots of knives as military even though they were not standard issue, so it may not be a copy of anything but is an original design.

The search goes on...................... :)
gringo

Post by gringo »

i guess zorro's research is why i kept finding material that led me to believe it was a military school, or a bread factory...duh... :mrgreen:

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”