WWII era USCG folders - Camillus? Any info?

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
dogngun

WWII era USCG folders - Camillus? Any info?

Post by dogngun »

Recently bought 2 wood scale sincle sheepsfoot blade folders stamped USCG Approved. Was told they were made by Camillus, and have seen a more modern one marked Camillus. One is dated 1944, the other not dated, but looks very similar.

Any information on these knives is appreciated.

Will try for pics.

thanks.

mark
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: WWII era USCG folders - Camillus? Any info?

Post by Mossdancer »

dng;
Middle war dated knives seem to bring in excellent condition, excellent prices, they will not pay for your kids or grandkids college but they are desirable to a collector. I have pasted a couple of photos from Military Knives a reference book. Camco will probably be along eventually to give the true story which ever way it falls as to whether they were manf. by camillus. Photos will be needed though.
moss

Edit; As an afterthought I do know a retired CG Warrant who collects CG marked knives. Send me a P.M. with your want price if you desire to sell for the dated and marked one and I will relay to him if I run into. Also include your email if you don't mind.
Attachments
img269c.jpg
img269.jpg
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
CAMCO

Re: WWII era USCG folders - Camillus? Any info?

Post by CAMCO »

This is a #425 pattern Sailor's knife with a sheepfoot blade and wood handles. These were made during WWII and have the 4 line Camillus stamping. Some were stamped "USCG Approved" and "1944 Q5" on the blade on the opposite side of the Camillus 4 line stamping. This knife was also made earlier in the war without the USCG stamping.
Beginning in 1949 this knife (Model #S-702) was offered but with a can-opener added. These knives have the post WWII 3 line stamping. I believe that they were also changed to stainless steel. The can-opener is the same one that was used in the MIL-K 4 blade S.S. knife that was introduced in 1949.

Tom Williams

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”