Japanese sword

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
dudleythetogi

Japanese sword

Post by dudleythetogi »

I sometimes will hear the term"the information under the handle" at a gun show in reference to the information a swordsmith inscribes on a tang of a Japanese sword.It is called the "mei" and usually gives the smiths name,sometimes the town or city name,and date.Sometimes more(some swordsmiths put cutting test results that included where in the body they cut through,or number of bodys stacked in a pile were cut through)This "nakago" from 1942,has makers name,basic adress and date.First pic is maker"Takashima Kunihide from Fushimi(district in Kyoto)
Greg
Attachments
Picture 307.jpg
Picture 307.jpg (81.5 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
Picture 310.jpg
Picture 310.jpg (65.55 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
Picture 312.jpg
Picture 312.jpg (77.75 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
Picture 318.jpg
Picture 318.jpg (40.46 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
Picture 314.jpg
Picture 314.jpg (90.36 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
Sauconian

Re: Japanese sword

Post by Sauconian »

Greg said :

" some swordsmiths put cutting test results that included where in the body they cut through,or number of bodys stacked in a pile were cut through."

Sounds like a pretty messy way to test a blade ! I don't think I'd want to have been an apprentice to a swordmaker if part of the duties were cleaning up the shop. ::barf::

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fran
If it's meant for me to have it, it'll still be there.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”